Day 5

A/N: Thanks Heather for writing Snowsong's part!

It was the morning after Laurelgaze's exile, but the clan cats found themselves in the same position as the night before -- Graystar had started the day with another clan meeting. She used her tail to signal to the gathered cats that the meeting had begun, effectively bringing the felines to attention.

"Warriors, this has gone on long enough," Graystar announced. More cats are going to die. Good luck, Laurelgaze had said last night. The golden-eyed tabby's parting words were echoing in the leader's mind. Well, Graystar refused. No more of her clanmates would be killed if she could help it.

"From now on, no cat goes out alone or in pairs," the leader decreed. "Patrols must be composed of at least three cats, preferably more."

Cats shifted and exchanged glances upon hearing the new rules. Basilwisp in particular looked dejected, and Kestrelberry had one ear flattened back, while Smallcloud seemed relieved.

"Also," continued Graystar, "we will have a rotated guard watching the camp at all times. Three warriors must always be on guard together, and every cat has to serve part of each day or night, along with their hunting and patrolling duties." She nearly cringed as she spoke. This would be a necessary, but exhausting, rule.

Rosepool, who was still sleep deprived, looked scandalized. Low mutters circulated through the gathered cats.

"Three cats? At all times? No one will ever have time to rest," Echoleaf protested loudly.

"I know this will be difficult to keep up, but they are necessary measures if we are to get through these trying times without losing more cats," Graystar meowed, responding to Echoleaf's comment while addressing the whole clan. Her amber eyes slowly scanned her clan until her gaze settled on Iriswhisper. The pale gray warrior had been right yesterday -- not about attacking Laurelgaze, traitor or not -- but about Graystar neglecting her duties as the leader of the clan, there to protect and guide her clanmates.

Iriswhisper held her gaze for a long heartbeat, then dipped her head in acknowledgement.

Graystar felt confidence rise up in her as she received the silent acceptance of her outspoken clanmate. Now she was truly doing her job, the leader thought as she dismissed the crowd.

She had no sooner stepped down from her place on the Highrock when she was confronted by Dewpaw, Tinypaw, and Redpaw.

"You didn't say anything about Blackpaw," Dewpaw accused her immediately.

Graystar swished her tail. She was still emotional from exiling Laurelgaze; did the arguments really have to start already? But she took a deep breath and squared her shoulders, facing the apprentices head on. "You're right, I didn't. We don't know yet what truly happened to Blackpaw, and I do not wish to alarm the clan until we have a better idea of what transpired."

Tinypaw bristled furiously. "So a missing clanmate just isn't important enough? He has to be dead for sure for you to care?"

"I did NOT say that," Graystar said sharply.

"It sure sounded like it," Tinypaw retorted.

Dewpaw squeaked and slapped her tail over Tinypaw's muzzle, trying to stop her from saying anything else to offend the leader, but the small ginger apprentice pulled away and glared at Graystar. "If you won't do anything about it, then we will," Tinypaw warned before turning her back on the leader and stalking away.

Dewpaw stared after her with panicked eyes, then looked at Graystar. "Please don't listen to her, she's just worried about Blackpaw," the blue she-cat pleaded.