Night

Please read the authors note and tell me if you think my idea is good or not!

Karlie was beyond tired. She looked out the window to see the sky, fading slowly into black.
"Miss Kloss, Everyone has left-"
"Yes, Katie. You can leave too." She says, sighing.
"Thank you. Are you going home tonight?"
"I hope so."

Karlie decides to walk home once again, and on her way back, she gets a text from one of her old high school friend, Cara.
Hey, I was wondering if you'd like to maybe catch up sometime? Last time you said you were too busy...
Karlie feels a pang of guilt for a moment, before remembering that she did have a huge meeting about a collaboration with another company. That alone earned her nearly forty million dollars...
Sorry C, now is really not a good time.
Karlie replies, nearly home.
Just as she is about to unlock the door to her apartment, she receives a text.
C: You always say that, Karlie.
K: I know.

Karlie turns her phone off, and walks into her apartment.
"Taylor?"
"Hi Karlie!" Taylor wants to tell her all about her day, about how she ran into one of her old best friends, how she went out to the shops. She knows that it really isn't a very big deal to anyone else, but it is to her. "How was your day?" Karlie simply nods, before replying "it was okay. What about you?" She asks and Taylor's smile fills the room.
"I... Went to the shops."
"Did you buy anything?"
Taylor hold up the notebook, a smile on her face.
"Cool." Karlie says, before walking to the bedroom to get into some comfortable clothes.
"Do you want me to make something to eat?" Taylor calls from the end of the hallway.
"I was just going to order pizza... But if you want to make something you can."
"If I make something will you eat it too?"
Karlie sighs, taking off her heals.
"Yeah, I will." She lies back on the bed.

Karlie stays in that position until Taylor calls her again, telling her that dinner is ready. Karlie feels slightly bad that Taylor has to make dinner.
Karlie feels slightly bad that she hasn't even bothered to get to know this girl. Karlie feels slightly bad that Taylor has come into her world and is trying to be so nice, and she's being so cold.
"Karlie!" Taylor's voice brings Karlie back to reality, and she gets up too fast and feels dizzy.
Karlie walks into the kitchen, and is completely shocked.
In the kitchen, sitting down on the kitchen table, is the nicest looking pizza she has ever seen.
"You made this?" Karlie asks, sitting down.
"Yeah. I like to cook."
"I've never been able to."
"Where I'm from," Taylor says sitting down at Karlie's table,"we're taught to cook all kinds of food."
"Where are you from?" Karlie asks, curious.
Taylor is quiet, and has to think about an answer that does not give anything away.
"A place far away from here."
The brief answer just makes Karlie feel more curious. She wants to ask some more questions. She wants to get to know the girl who arrived here in nothing but a blue dress.
"What is it called?"
"I'm... Not sure." Taylor lies.
She knows what it is called, there is no way she would ever be able to forget it. The place where her family are, the place where she grew up, the place she calls her home.
"What's it like?"
"It's... Hot. People are so friendly... And kind. My family are still there." Taylor tells Karlie quietly.
"I'm sure they will come and visit you." Karlie says taking a big bite of Taylor's delicious pizza.
"They... Can't." Taylor whispers.
"You can visit them?"
Taylor simply smiles and shakes her head.
"Why?" Karlie feels like she is intruding, but the word finds it's way out of her mouth too quickly.
"It's complicated, Karlie. Are you busy tomorrow?" Taylor asks.
"I'm always busy."
"You should take a day off. You are so tired."
Karlie pauses for a moment. She had thought that she had hid her tiredness perfectly well.
Taylor notices Karlie's face fall for a single second, before she regains herself.
"I'm fine." Karlie says, harsher than she had meant it to be.
Taylor just nods.
Good things take time.
Her family's motto when they found out that she was being sent to earth. To work with Karlie. Who is by far the hardest.
Taylor heard many rumours about the woman, how when she was young her family never had time for her, or how she had had her heart broken over fifty times, how she doesn't trust anyone. How she can't possibly love anyone ever again.
Taylor doesn't believe any of those things. People do love again, after their heart has been shattered into a million pieces. Some people take longer to recover, because the wall that they have put up is like a fortress, and Taylor feels like Karlie is hiding behind one, hiding her feelings and burying herself in her work.
Taylor was heartbroken once, too. But she decided that the best revenge was happiness.
Because after all, she was special. She was the one sent to earth. She was the top of every single class. She watched him watch her, laughing with her friends, while his castle crumbled beneath his feet.
"I haven't been here before. Is there any places that I should go and see?" Taylor says, leading the conversation in another direction.
Karlie thinks about this for a while. She hasn't really been and done anything here, in New York.
"I hear that Central Park is pretty at this time of year."
"Have you been there before?"
"No, but I've heard about it."
"We should go!"
"I'm... A bit busy at the moment, Taylor."
"Can't you take a break? It's not good to be working all the time."
The thought of taking a break is horrifying for Karlie.
Karlie sighs. "Maybe we could... Some other time?"
"Okay." Taylor tries not to sound sad at Karlie's answer, but can't help but let her face fall.
Karlie notices this out of the corner of her eye, and all of a sudden feels guilty. Tomorrow isn't one of her busier days, she is only meeting with another company and having a staff meeting.
"Maybe... Maybe we could go tomorrow." Karlie's voice wavers for a moment.
Taylor's body fills with hope. "Really?"
She is surprised Karlie changed her mind, but is overhwkemed with happiness.
"I... Guess... But I still have some emails and stuff to do in the morning."
Taylor just nods. "Thank you Karlie! Thank you so much."
Karlie is surprised by Taylor's reaction with such a simple promise. "It's fine... Now... I'm going to go to bed. Maybe tomorrow we can discuss living arrangements? I feel bad but I am a very busy person."
Taylor's heart sinks. "O-okay." She murmurs.
"Well, I'll see you tomorrow then. Goodnight, Taylor." Karlie walks towards her room, quickly shutting her door and leaning up against it. Simply the thought of taking a day off, a day away from work sends shivers down her spine. It makes her feel sick.
She takes a deep breath, before climbing into bed and watches the busy street just outside her window until she falls asleep.