Twelve.

Christmas Eve was a pretty big deal in Neymar's family

It was the evening of the year that they spent together as a big close family and Cassie, who was spending it alone since forever—it was considered as a normal evening when she still lived at her aunt—, thought that I was pretty cute and actually goals.

But that year, she was part of the festivity, which was kind of scaring her. Not because she had to pretend to be Neymar's girlfriend for a whole evening, but because she didn't know what she was supposed to do.

That's how she ended in front of her big mirror, wearing a dress, thighs and ankle boots and wondering if it was enough, too much or not enough at all.

"I freaking hate my life," she said out loud and took her phone to video call Mélissa on WhatsApp.

"Hey girl, you look hot!" yelled Mélissa when she picked up, and Cassie smiled.

"Thanks. Is it what we are supposed to wear on Christmas Eve?"

"Yep. Whyyy, are you suddenly stressed out?"

"I've never celebrated Christmas Eve, I'm panicking. I don't know what to do, how to act, what's gonna happen. I'm lost."

"You have nothing to worry about, it's just...eating and spending time together. His family speaks English, right?"

"Yeah. That's how we talked yesterday. Davi doesn't, though, and I only speak basic Spanish so that's not really helping" she realized, and Mélissa nodded.

"Okay, no need to panic even more. Neymar will translate for you, it's gonna be fine. I'm repeating myself but...enjoy it, okay?"

"I will," Cassie nodded. "You too. Say hi to everyone for me."

"Will do. Have a good Christmas Eve, Cass. Love you."

"You too, love you more."

She throws her phone on her bed before sighing.

It's gonna be fine, Mélissa said it. It's just food and small talk. You can handle that.

She took her phone back before leaving her bedroom. She was already four minutes late, which sucked given that she lived next door. She closed her door and took a big breath once that she was in front of Neymar's door.

You already met his parents yesterday and they were extra nice. His father called you "filha". You also met Rafaella and Jo, so there is nothing to worry about. The only people you don't know are Carolina and Davi, but they are probably as nice as everyone, because how could they not? It was running in the family blood, and the only person not blood related, Carolina, looked like she couldn't hurt a fly.

She finally knock on the door, and a smiling Neymar opened it, almost pushing her outside before closing the door behind him.

"What are you doing?" she asked, frowning, and he put his finger on her mouth.

Why does it seem pretty hot to me? Someone sends help.

"Shhh, be quiet. Let's pretend that we are greeting each other, if you know what I mean," Neymar winked, and she laughed. "Come here, I'm going to mess your hair a little so it looks more real."

"We are supposed to be kissing, not to have sex in the corridor, do you realize that?"

"Stubborn is back."

"She never left. Is everyone already here?"

"Yep. I asked everyone to speak English even which each other so you can understand everything. We'll just to translate Davi's words, but it's no big deal."

"Thank you. I really appreciate that," she smiled.

"Anything for my girlfriend," he winked again, and Cassie bit her lips.

Why do I suddenly wish that it was real?

_

She had nothing to worry about.

As usual.

Everyone was so friendly that she really felt like she knew them since forever. Davi was the cutest person ever, trying to speak French as much as he could—he was already pretty good at it—, and Carolina was as sweet as her face was suggesting. Rafaella was always making sure that Cassie was okay and didn't need anything, and Jo was making jokes that were absolutely not funny, but that were lightening the atmosphere nonetheless.

They were family. And it was a beautiful sight to see.

Cassie frowned when she heard Neymar and Davi arguing in Portuguese. Carolina noticed it and smiled.

"Davi wants another chocolate but Neymar said no," she explained, and Cassie smiled as well.

"That's a pretty important argument."

Neymar finally gave up and Davi smiled before taking a chocolate from the table. Cassie laughed, and Neymar looked at her.

"Why are you even laughing?"

"Because your six-year-old son just won against you," she shrugged, and he shook his head.

"He usually doesn't win that easily. But it's Christmas Eve, you know."

"Sure," she said in a tone indicating that she was mocking him.

"Are you making fun of me?" he raised an eyebrow.

"I would never," she smiled, and Carolina cooed before putting her hand in her mouth.

"Sorry. I ruined the moment but I'm so happy for you guys!" she smiled.

Neymar laughed—such a cute laugh, I could listen to it in repeat—before turning around and talking to Davi, who nodded before saying good night to everyone in the room—his grandparents and Rafaella were making coffee in the kitchen, Jo was MIA—and leaving to go to bed, followed by his father.

Carolina sighed before looking at Cassie.

"You know, I don't like to give my opinion on Neymar's girlfriends because it's none of my business, but you're the first one that I like from the beginning. Like...he seems genuinely happy just looking at you and that's beautiful. And I can see how you look at him as well. And I know that it's quite difficult for you to speak with Davi, and Neymar still didn't explain to him who you are exactly, but I think that he likes you. So if my boys are happy with you, I am more than happy with you as well," she smiled.

"Thank you, Carolina," Cassie bit her lips.

And I can see how you look at him as well.

That's the problem, Carolina. The way he looks at me is bluff, but the way I do is not.