👣🐾👣🐾👣

Stiles awoke on a springy couch, groaning as he cracked his back. Outside he saw it was night.

"You're awake." He turned to Derek in surprise.

"What's-...What happened?"

"You passed out in the bus."

"That's not how I remember it." The light throb of his head made him scowl.

"Okay, you started to shift. Luckily, I saved our asses from getting caught. I swear, your more hassle than your worth." Derek grumbled.

"Whatever, Sourwolf." Stiles thought back to what he remembered. "I think I remember what happened."

"Well, that's one good thing." Derek crouched by the couch he was on. "Talk."

"...I didn't attack him." Stiles whispered. "I mean, the red eyes were there."

"The Alpha."

"Yeah. It was like...He was trying to get me to kill the driver, but I- I refused. I tried to help the bus driver, fought with the Alpha...I lost, but he still left. Then I blacked out. Back in my bed the next morning."

"I see..."

"What's the time?"

"Nine o'clock. Just past curfew." Derek mused.

"I have to go see Scott." Stiles pulled out his phone, checking his messages and letting out a surprised noise.

"What?"

"...He's dead. The bus driver. His heart gave out at eight...Derek, where were you?" Stiles stood suddenly, grabbing the collar of his jacket and pulling the other man closer with strength he had been holding back for weeks.

"Don't touch me." Derek growled, shoving the other away, but not before Stiles caught the mixed scent of a hospital.

"You were there." Stiles snarled, something he never thought he'd manage. "You killed him, didn't you? To keep him quiet. You bastard."

"Stiles. Don't talk about things you don't know about." Derek said dangerously low.

"Don't talk about what? The fact that he happened to die when you've been to the hospital? How else am I meant to take that!?" Stiles yelled, claws itching to break free.

"Yes. I was there. But I didn't kill him. He went into shock after seeing me. I don't know why, Stiles, but he recognised me. He knew me. Then he died. You know what I got out of him though? 'I'm sorry.' Over and over. So don't talk about things you don't know about." He snapped, growling softly at the younger werewolf.

Stiles stared at Derek in shock, blinking as the guilt sunk in. The older Beta was going through enough as it was, Stiles knew that. He had no family, had to deal with an Alpha in his hometown, also having to pick up a scarpering newly turned werewolf.

"I'm sorry." Stiles whispered. "I'm just stressed. I shouldn't take it out on you."

"...You'll have to stay the night. I don't trust you going out in the dark after the incident." Derek sighed. "You can have the couch, just for being you." Derek smirked.

"Sourwolf." Stiles pouted, but it quickly turned into a small smile. "You must be pretty confused after all this, huh?"

"You have no idea..." Derek locked his jaw, silent a long while. "Stiles?"

"Yeah?"

"I should tell you, the Alpha who bit you? What happened on the bus was him trying to recruit you into his pack. Kill with him, you become his Beta. If you don't kill with him...He might kill you in future, or force you to kill."

"Crap." Stiles groaned. "That's just lovely. Kill or be killed."

"My sister, Laura, was an Alpha. Stiles, she was killed before she could pass it on to another werewolf of her choice. Which means the Alpha could be just about anyone."

"I know...I know."

After hours of restless twisting and turning on the couch, Stiles fell asleep.

Derek didn't sleep until the sun came up.

8 BITES