Chapter 8: Wildfire

Start from the beginning

 Daryl hands me his pickaxe as he holds Jim's arms behind his back as Shane lifts up his shirt. Jim repeating ' I'm okay' until he has to choke back a sob, us only staring at the bite mark. 

 Jim gets put in the R.V as the rest of us talk about what to do with him. Of course, Daryl says killing him. " I hate to say it...I never thought I would...but maybe Daryl's right." I stare at him in disgust as Rick agrees with me.

 " Jim's not a monster, Dale, or some rabid dog."

 " I'm not suggesting-"

 " He's sick. A sick man. We start down that road, where do we draw the line? What if we can help him? I heard the C.D.C was working on a cure. I mean, what if C.D.C is still up and running?" Rick questions.

 " That is a stretch right there," Shane mutters.

 " Why? If there is any government left, they'd protect the C.D.C at all costs. It's our best shot at food, shelter, protection..."

 " You want those things, all right? So do I. If those things exist, they're at an army base. Fort Benning. It's 100 miles the opposite direction, but it's away from the hot zone. If it's operational, it'll be heavily armed. We'd be safe there."

 " No, we won't," I mutter, making only Daryl look at me in confusion before becoming frustrated at the two's argument.

 " You go looking for aspirin, do what you need to do. Someone needs to have balls to take care of this damn problem!" He yanks his pickaxe from my hands. Daryl starts to walk over to the R.V, ready to kill Jim before I stand in front of him blocking his path. " Don't. You. Dare," I growl at him. He pauses long enough for Rick to aim his Python at him.

 " We don't kill the living."

 " Funny coming from a man who just put a gun to my head." He drops the pickaxe beside me before walking past me, knocking his shoulder against mine. I roll my eyes at him before grabbing a few tools, with Dale's consent, going over to my bike, hoping to add more speed.

 After a few minutes of tweaking my ride, Dale comes up from behind me, telling me Amy's funeral is about to start, asking if I'm going. "Not respectful to go to someone's funeral you don't know. I'll keep an eye on Jim." He nods his head before silently walking. After tweaking my ride enough I put his tools back, grabbing my bag, my arrows, and bows before going inside the R.V, seeing Jim sweating in the bed in the back.

 " Hey, it's you," he croaks, " I never knew your name."

 " I don't matter, just making sure you keep breathing. Need anything?" 

 " Water. Please?" I nod my head slightly before taking the bottle out of my bag, slightly tipping the bottle up, allowing him to drink before pulling away after a few seconds. " Thank you," he mutters, " You save a grave for me?"

 I look up at him, letting out a sigh before whispering, " We may get to C.D.C. It could help." He coughs violently in my direction, making me a wet substance land on my face and clothes. I look down to see blood splatter across my clothes. I wipe my face, feeling his blood. 

 " Sorry," he mutters. I grab the sleeve of my jacket before wiping the blood from his face as I hear the group coming down from the funeral.

 " I'll be back." I hop out of the R.V, spotting Rick instantly. I quickly jog to him before saying, " If we're going to C.D.C we go now! He's dying in there. He's coughing up blood." He looks me up and down as I point to my torso, the blood staining my clothes.

 " Alright. We're going."

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 After what felt like hours everyone got everything together. Morales and his family decided to leave as Rick tells us where we'll be. Jacqui and Carol take care of Jim, Glenn with Dale in the R.V. Rick, Lori, Carl and Sophia in another car. Shane by himself as T and Andrea in their car. Of course, Daryl and I in his truck since both of our bikes are in the back. ' Great.' I hop into shotgun as Daryl drives, following the rest of the cars.

 There's silent throughout the ride, not tension-filled but just calm until he speaks after a few minutes. " Why didn't go to her funeral?"

 " Don't know the girl."

 " You still could've come."

 " Why does it matter Dixie Cup?" I snap at him.

 " Will you stop calling me that!" he exclaims.

 " Why? You don't like it Dixie Boy?" I tease.

 He lets out an annoyed sigh before asking, " Why is it you talk to me as if we've been friends for years yet mutter everything else to other?" I give a shrug for my answer before he continues, " What? You just like being an ass to me or some shit?" I roll my eyes at him before answering.

 " It's funny." He was about to respond until we see all the cars stop in front of us, only seeing Shane and Rick carry Jim out, laying him down to sit upon beside a tree as he becomes pale like the clouds across the sky. " Shit," I mutter before hopping out.

 " He wants to be left," Rick explains to me, allowing us to say our goodbyes. One by one everyone says goodbye to him until I'm the last one on the hill. I slowly walk to him, kneeling in front of him as he speaks to me. " Can you...tell me your name?"

 " Carter," I answer with a small yet sad smile.

 " Can you-" he coughs violently for a few seconds, before calming down and continuing, " Can you shoot me?" My face loses all color as I mutter a small ' why'. " You've done it in... army. Please...you don't know....it'll be easier than them. Please." I stare at him for a moment, blinking tears away from my eyes as I nod my head slightly. I stand up from my squatting position, pulling my Glock out my jeans, popping it out of safety mode, before aiming it at his forehead. He closes his eyes as I pull the trigger.

 The ringing continues in my ear as I sit in the truck, closing the door behind me. I let my head lean back, hitting the seat before I open my eyes as I hear the door open before closing again, seeing the redneck sit beside me. " Why'd you kill 'em?"

 " Asked." He nods in acknowledgment as I steady my breathing, trying to make my breathing even as I get the images out of my head.

 " What's wrong with you?" I look over at him, annoyed at his stupidity.

 " Something I want to forget alright? Jesus," I mutter the last part as we get closer to the C.D.C. I open the door slightly, only to slam it close, coughing violently from the terrible stench outside. " Cover your mouth." He quickly wraps the bandanna around his face, muttering thanks as I put my shirt over my nose before opening the door again, readying my arrow on with my bow as we follow the group across the dead to where the doors should be, only to see they're locked and shuttered.

 " Walker!" Daryl yells. I turn back quickly to see a small group of walkers coming at us. We both cover the group as they try to leave, yet Rick stays.

 As the walkers get closer we continue killing them as Shane is finally able to pull Rick away. " We're gonna fucking die," I mutter in realization. Daryl looks at me with a hint of sadness in his eyes until the door open, drowning us all in the light.