Chapter 63: A Sword to Fall On

Summary: Everyone hates tanks

Summary: Everyone hates tanks. Yelena Belova has her own plans. Plans have consequences. Adam is a good bro. Hap wishes people would just get in the damn car! It's a good thing Clint put in that new water heater.

Notes: Yes, you've been very patient. We do earn that adult rating again. A big thanks to EmilyGracie who helped with beta duties. Everyone send some healing vibes to Autumn_Froste who is not feeling well and wish her a speedy recovery.

~~~~~

Pepper and Tony had both decided independently they hated tanks, at least as much as Bruce did. Not that their large friend was helping that much with getting them through the portal since he'd been smashing a lot of other things while trying to handle Yelena Belova, the enhanced other Widow. Since Adam had vanished with Natasha—fingers crossed all was okay and she didn't kill him—Tony had stolen more than a few looks between tankbots to note the blonde assassin's skills and abilities. Pepper hadn't taken it very well when she caught him looking more than once."Eyes on machines!" she said as she swept a two-fingered gesture from her faceplate toward his. She couldn't see him smile apologetically behind the suit, so he shrugged dramatically and threw up his hands.

 "Eyes on machines!" she said as she swept a two-fingered gesture from her faceplate toward his. She couldn't see him smile apologetically behind the suit, so he shrugged dramatically and threw up his hands.

"Now, Mister!" She was so going to make him do something unpleasant later if he didn't quit goofing off.

Pepper and Tony had both given Bruce a wide berth, but Pep getting pissed or not, the engineer was keeping tabs on his friend's situation all the same. Bruce had tagged Belova a number of times, and she'd rebounded and recovered almost instantly. Tony noted that when her nose bled, her blood was oddly dark. He wasn't a biologist, but that couldn't be a healthy sign. All the same, she was tough and didn't slow down. He'd noticed she was sloppier with her form and less fluid than Natasha, but her movements were much quicker than a normal person's. Natasha might be able to out think her, but he'd have to give Belova the advantage in an impromptu a brawl. The engineer estimated she was capable of more than human speed in short bursts. He decided Belova might not punch with the power of a Hulked-out Bruce or Thor, but Tony thought she could match Steve blow for blow and maybe know how to make them count more.

In contrast, Bruce alone made for a rather sluggish Hulk. No pun intended, but he was markedly slower than Adam's manifestation and, frankly, he looked a little awkward and uncomfortable in that thick green skin. Tony was sure the slower speed and rough edges had more to do with Bruce's lack of solo practice and his cautious attitude than his true capabilities . . . not that he wasn't putting his heart into the current fight and holding his own with a tough, seasoned combatant. Tony winced as Pepper tossed a chunk from a gun barrel she'd just pulled off a tankbot and hit him in the back. "What do you have against the equipment, woman?!"