A Familiar Face | KotoUmi | (College!AU)

The stench of alcohol and cramped bodies filled the crowded and dim room. Bright neon and moving colourful lights illuminated the crowd as they moved to an upbeat rhythm blasting through the speakers. Men and women bumping against each other, some drunk and spilling their drinks to the floor.

At the corner where the sofas faced the backyard, there sat Umi amongst her friends whose voices thundered through the room with drunken laughters. Though she had a drink on one hand and was nodding along with every word her friends were saying, her attention was focused elsewhere.

The backyard had a large pool where other groups of people started playing and messing about, and another half preferring to chat instead. One particular group were sat at the edge of the pool chatting in their bikinis and trunks, some showing off their athletic bodies that were still glistening from the pool water. Within the group stood out one particular girl that had fully captured the navy haired girl's attention. Umi's amber eyes was fixated on the way the girl's ash brown locks flowed down her shoulders and back, and how hearing her laugh caused her heart to race as if it were familiar to her.

There was just something about that girl that made her feel so mesmerised. Even causing her heart to beat rapidly at just hearing that angelic voice and cute giggles. The girl's deep green bikini displayed her toned stomach, and the mesmerised archer still hadn't realised her mouth was slightly agape as she continued to stare.

“Close your mouth, Umi.” Her friend whispered, instantly snapping her out of her trance,“Before you swallow a fly or something.”

As soon as she turned to face the owner of the large mansion, who was also her friend, she could feel her face instantly heat up, making the colour of her face comparable to that of Maki's hair. “I- I don't know what you're talking about.” Umi silently cursed at her stuttering.

“Stop with the act.” The redhead waved off with her free hand, as the other arm was wrapped around a short, raven haired girl. “Everyone can tell you've just been staring this whole time.” She said, smirking.

“I- was I really?” Umi asked incredulously. Her brows furrowed.

“You're too obvious.” Nico, the shorter girl in the redhead's arm spoke up quickly, frowning. “We could just feel the thirst radiating off you. Aren't I right, Maki-chan?” She turned to her girlfriend, cuddling closer to her.

“Yeah, yeah. Of course.” The redhead replied, responding to her girlfriend's actions by pulling her close and resting her chin on top of the shorter girl's head.

“I know. I always am.” The raven haired girl said smugly, giggling in Maki's arms. Causing their friend who was sitting beside them to gag at the lovey-dovey couple. Nico shot her a glare before suggesting something to the usually serious girl, “Just talk to her.”

“I can't.” Umi said instantly.

“Talk to her.” Nico said again, more irritated this time.

“No.” Umi replied with the same tone.

“Talk. To. Her.”

“No!”

As the two continued their bickering, Maki was just about to let them be, but what she noticed made her change her mind as she saw someone walking in their direction from the pool. “Uhh… guys?” she started, trying to diffuse the situation. But, her friend and her girlfriend couldn't hear her over their argument. She tried to say something again, but the person was already a few feet behind the navy haired girl.

Running out of ideas, Maki did the first thing that came to her mind. She picked up a surprised Nico and carried her towards the stairs. “Wha- Maki-chan?!” The shorter girl cried out, her face turning into a shade of crimson. Leaving their friend behind, confused and bewildered at the redhead's sudden urgency to go somewhere else.