Chapter 43.

Yusuf’s POV

I had to get better job, it was my only option. I was distracted with finding a better job that I didn’t realize I was apparently neglecting Safia until she said,

“Found some time in your busy schedule for me then?” I felt really bad but I didn’t say much in case we got into an argument. She had to understand that I was doing this for her. Silence was the best way to avoid any disagreements but it seemed to me that my silence angered her. But I later apologized and she did so too.

After weeks of searching for a job, I got an unexpected phone call from someone who never called me.

“Javed?” I asked picking up the phone. Maybe he sat on it and it accidentally dialed my number.

“Salaam Yusuf.” Wow! He said salaam to me. I was getting freaked out.

“Wa’alaykumsalaam. Is everything okay?” As the shock wore down, different scenarios began forming in my mind. Maybe there was an accident or maybe someone’s ill.

“Yeah. I need to talk to you.”

Me?” I couldn’t remember the last time Javed needed to talk to me. It was probably never.

“Can we meet up?” He sounded a little irritated at my surprise.

“Okay.” I said unsurely. We agreed he would come to my workplace while I was on my lunch break.

“Don’t tell anyone. Not even Safia.” I didn’t really know how to react. This was strange.

So the following week, I sat at a local dingy café eating my homemade sandwiches waiting for Javed to arrive. He came while I was swallowing my last bite.  He looked a little neater than he did a couple of weeks ago but the bags under his eyes and his dull expression remained.

“Asalamu’alaykum.” I said.

“Wa’alaykumsalaam.” There was an awkward silence. I cleared my throat but the awkwardness continued.

“Well this is nice.” I commented and Javed smiled a little. We made small talk before Javed mentioned the purpose of his visit.

“I told you I’ve got to tell you something. Promise me you’ll keep this between us for now.”

“Of course.” Now I was really curious. “What’s up?”

“I’ve not been feeling well lately. I thought nothing of it until I realized I wasn’t getting better. I went to the doctors and they gave me some bad news. I was still in denial so I did some research of my own and now I’m worried.”

“Right. What did the doctors say?” Oh Allah, I prayed, please don’t make this what I think it is.

“Well, they’re not entirely sure but I seem to have symptoms of cancer. I have an appointment coming up just to confirm things. I’d appreciate it if you could come.” My jaw must have been hanging and I couldn’t form any words. I knew things like this happened but I never expected this to happen to Javed. And now he was asking me to help him. Of all people, me!

“So sorry to hear that.” I practically whispered.

“Nobody died Yusuf. And it’s not even final. Are you going to come?”

“Yeah, sure.” Javed looked like there was more he wanted to get off his chest. “How much of your lunch break do you have left?”

“Erm… Around half an hour.” I managed to say. What was happening didn’t feel real at all. “If you have anything more to say, just say it.” I said hoping that he had some good news. Usually with bad new there was some good news.