Chapter 14.

Yusuf's POV

I put my head in my hands hearing exactly what I expected from mum. The criticism of Safia had begun and it made me feel awful but I couldn't do anything about it. Every time I tried to speak up, I'd get told off.

"What were you thinking Yusuf?" I paused to think of an answer that would be polite and wouldn't get me into trouble. 

"Mum, I told you before; she's a really good girl."

"There are lots of good girls in the world. What about Hafsa?"

"What?” I asked shocked that mum would even say that. “How could you think that? We went to their house for Safia not Hafsa. I want to marry Safia. Besides, how bad would it look if we go to their house for Safia and ask for Hafsa's hand instead. That's really not a nice thing to do, especially because the reasons you don't like Safia are really unfair."

"They are not unfair!"

"You don't like her because of who she is on the outside. I don't care about that."

"Really? You don't care at all?" I thought for a moment. I did care, everyone cares. We would all like to marry someone pleasing to our eyes. But it wasn't as important as how one was on the inside. 

"I think Safia's pretty." I hoped that this wouldn't count as a lie. I knew Safia wasn't bad. I'd seen her and didn't think anything bad, whichever girl she was. Luckily the face of the girl in navy blue hijab was now also fading. My mum sighed, fed up with me.

"I don't understand why you're so crazy about this girl. What is it about her?" 

"It's not only her. You do this every time. Every single time I find a girl who seems compatible, you say no. So this time I got to know her before telling you," I hung my head feeling slightly ashamed. "And I really like her. I want you to have an open mind; I want you to like her. How can I marry someone if you don't approve?" My mum rolled her eyes. I took a deep breath and began speaking the sensitive truth.

"I understand you don't like Safia's simplicity and shyness because you want a daughter in law you can show off. Don't worry, you can show off Javed's wife in the future, just like you show him off to everyone." I looked away, my heart breaking. I had just indirectly admitted my feelings to my mum for the first time. I wondered whether she would get the message and deny it.

"I guess you're right." My mum shrugged. I took in a deep breath, disappointed that my mum didn't get the message. Or maybe she did but didn't care. My sad paranoid thoughts were seeping into my mind again when Maryam spoke.

"So you'll accept her?" She asked with a hopeful expression on her face. "Yes, I was eavesdropping." She said replying to my frown.

"I didn't say that. I still think you can do better Yusuf. Isn't that right Maryam?"

"No. I like Safia! I heard you talking about Hafsa too. She's cool but Safia's cooler because she actually likes Yusuf. And Hafsa wants Yusuf and Safia to get married too." I smiled up at Maryam, grateful for her help. All my sad thoughts went away again as I went over the words 'Safia likes Yusuf.' It made me even happier that Maryam liked Safia. Maybe Maryam could finally have the sister she always dreamt of. Maybe I could finally stop being Maryam's sister. I tried my best to fulfil sister duties for Maryam which meant taking her shopping without yawning, and listening to her talk about school without falling asleep. Being sister like was boring, but I didn't want Maryam to feel like she was missing out on anything.

"Maryam, I think you should leave. You're too young; you don't know anything about marriage." My mum told her.

"Maybe I don't know about marriage but I know about Safia. I was there when you were asking her questions. You didn't even try to get to know her. All you did was ask about whether she'll lose weight or wear makeup or go out with her friends-"