11

As Joseph focused on the two, his curiosity was building like a cat fixated upon its prey

As Joseph focused on the two, his curiosity was building like a cat fixated upon its prey. After a few minutes, his curiosity peaked. There was some obvious tension between Miranda and his brother. When he saw Jason take an intimidating step toward her he was surprised. His brother had never been the confrontational type, something was obviously wrong.

As the door opened he heard his brother shout the words 'say hi to him' him who? Did he get this all wrong was Miranda in fact seeing someone? His stomach turned at the thought.

When she walked back into the room he kept his gaze on her, which of course she avoided like any sensible prey being stalked.

He noticed the firm set of her mouth and the tick in her cheek, yeah something was definitely up. As Jason walked by again both Miranda and Joseph looked up. Joseph threw her a glance and found her watching him closely. Deciding enough was enough he excused himself and stopped his brother in the hall.

"OK spill it," said Joseph

Jason looked down at the cup of coffee in his hands before looking back and Joseph.

"I mean the janitors won't be happy but alright, you're the boss. " with that he started tipping his coffee.

"Don't you dare! " Joseph warned him. "I'm talking about you and Miranda, what the heck is this tension between you too?"

"You're going to have to ask her that man," Jason replied shaking his head.

"I'm asking you!" Joseph said firmly.

"Clearly, but I'm telling you you're asking the wrong person. It's not my place to say. All I can say is be open to anything. " Jason told him.

The sympathetic look on Jason's face put him on edge.

"What does that even mean? " Joseph asked

Jason turned and Joseph followed his gaze. Miranda sat watching them, she looked quite nervous. Joseph was suddenly irritated.

"If you don't tell me what's going on you're fired," he said turning to Jason

Jason rolled his eyes and took a sip of his coffee.

"See you later brother I've got mail to deliver."

"I mean it Jason!" he called after him.

"Sure man," Jason said without turning around.

As Joseph sat back in his chair he listened to Nathan questioning the employee. The man didn't look the least bit shaken in any way by the questions. Joseph's gaze dropped to Miranda's hands where she was nervously drumming her fingers on the table.

The movement suddenly stopped and he looked up to see her look away from him before placing her hands in her lap.

"Thank you for your time," Nathan said drawing their attention back to the interview that he was wrapping up.

The employee nodded respectfully in Joseph's direction before taking his leave.

"Now why do I feel like the outsider of something going on here?" asked Nathan turning to both of them.

"I believe you've just put my thoughts into words, Mr. Fernandez," Joseph responded

They both turned to pin Miranda to her chair with their stares.

"Are we finished here? " she asked coolly as she looked at her partner.

"Are you in a hurry?" Nathan replied

"Are you trying to irritate me?" she asked through clenched teeth.

"Looks like it's a little late for that. " Nathan responded as he nodded to her clenched fist. Getting up from his chair he continued. "I will be unavailable for most of tomorrow afternoon so you'll be on your own for most of the day here. That's why I'm getting a head start now. So to answer your question, no we're not finished here. I do need a quick bathroom break though."

Joseph's first thought was he will have her all to himself tomorrow. The knowledge of that excited him more than it should.

As Nathan left the office Joseph fixed his gaze on Miranda.

"Would you care for some coffee?" he asked her.

She stared at him as though he had asked the most difficult question.

"Yes? No? " he continued

"Yes. " she all but snapped at him.

He raised his brow at her tone but didn't make a comment. He reached for the phone on the desk and requested for his secretary to bring in coffee and pastries.

They sat waiting in silence.

"What's wrong Miranda? " he asked quietly

"Why do you think something is wrong? " she asked

"You seem angry. " he pointed out.

"Maybe I'm just not having a good day," she told him.

"You have somewhere else you'd rather be? " he asked

"As a matter of fact yes," she told him.

"Hot date tonight? " he inquired. He held his breath as he waited for her to respond.

"Wouldn't you like to know. " was her response along with a quiet chuckle.

"Yes, that's why I'm asking," he said in a duh tone.

"My personal life is none of your business Mr. Walters," she said in a no-nonsense tone that parents used to scold their children.

"Given the history we have, I'd say we should be on a first-name basis, don't you think? " he asked

"Actually no. Like you said it's history. Dead and buried, what's the sense in digging up old skeletons? The stench from both our past is very unpleasant if I do say so myself. " she scolded some more.

"Tochè.," said Joseph inclining his head.

A soft knock sounded at the door and his secretary strolled in with a tray holding coffee and pastries. She placed a cup in front of each of them and one for Nathan. After handing Miranda cream and sugar she placed the tray now holding only pastries in the middle of the table and instructed them to help themselves.

"How long has she worked for you? " Miranda asked him as the door closed behind the secretary.

"Almost four years give and take a few months. " Joseph replied with a shrug of his broad shoulders. "Why? "

Miranda shook her head and reached for a pastry. Joseph watches her take a bite and smiled to himself when her face lit up with pleasure. She licked her lips. Her lips were a pale pink that reminded him of a rosebud. The top lip was thinner, but not too thin, and it had a natural cupid's bow; the bottom one was larger and plusher.

He watched her reach for her mug and saw her lips curve around it. He wondered what her lips would feel like. They looked soft. When she looked up Joseph captured her gaze in his own heated stare. He allowed his gaze to fall back to her lips. His eyes ran along the curve of her mouth in a heated caress. Her lips parted in a small gasp as though somehow his stare had touched her physically.

"OK let's continue. " Nathan announced strolling back into the room. "Oh great food, God lord I was starving. " he continued, oblivious to their heated battle.