3

Joseph glanced up at the sound of laughter wafting into the coffee shop, the tinkling sound of the bell over the door interrupted his thoughts

Joseph glanced up at the sound of laughter wafting into the coffee shop, the tinkling sound of the bell over the door interrupted his thoughts. Expecting to see his brother he frowned when instead he saw two women walk in. He pulled back his sleeve and glanced at his watch then clenched his teeth in aggravation.

He was not a man to be kept waiting. No one in their right mind would ever allow him to sit for too long cooling his heels yet here he was, sitting in a coffee shop waiting for his brother to show up.

He was not at all surprised though, for his brother was not known to be punctual.

When Jason had called him earlier asking to meet up he had quickly suggested meeting in the coffee shop instead of the office. He had just hired a new PA and she was no doubt attractive. The last thing he wanted was for his brother to walk into his office and seduce an employee and leave him to pick up the pieces. He didn't care who his brother slept around with but every time he came in the presence of a attractive woman it didn't end well. The last thing he needed was more stress added to his already hectic life.

The bell sounded again and he looked up and was momentarily startled to see a woman with the face of an angel walk in. His eyes followed her as she glanced around. Her wavy dark hair flowed around her face with each turn of her head. She was dressed in jeans and a fitting T-shirt with a black leather bag slung over her shoulder.

His eyes followed her all the way up to the counter where he saw the male cashier fumble all over himself in an effort to serve her.

Poor fellow doesn't stand a chance against beauty like that.

She turned and looked right at him as if she felt him watching her. He saw her blink in surprise and he felt his brows knit when he got a good look at her face, there was something very familiar about her but he couldn't put his finger on it.

He allowed his eyes to travel over her delectable body. She's tall but still no match for his height of six foot three. Her legs are every man's dream and he found himself wondering what it might feel like to have them wrapped around his neck while he pleasured her to the point of unconsciousness.

He felt his libido stir and he shifted in his chair and looked back at her face to find her startled eyes staring back at him. The expression on her face said she knew exactly what he was thinking or maybe exactly who he was. His gaze dropped to her lips and they parted in a silent gasp. Full pink succulent Perfect lips, no surprise there.

Why do I know you? How do I know you?

Deciding he had to talk to this intriguing beauty he pushed back his chair and stepped around the table and started walking towards her, all the while keeping eye contact.

As if sensing his intentions she turned and took her coffee and dashed out of the shop ignoring the cashier's call to not forget her change.

He quickened his pace and rushed out after her. He look up and down the street, she was nowhere in sight. The summer sun beat upon his face relentlessly, forcing beads of seat to form on his forehead. The ball of fire in the sky blazed a brilliant amber, so bright that he could not admire it for long. Quickening his pace, he realized that he had lost sight of her.

"Shit!" He swore. He sigh and wiped the moisture from his forehead.

"Joseph?!"

He turned as he heard his brother call his name, with an annoyed scowl on his face he ignored him and walked back inside.

Who was that woman?

"What crawled up your ass so early in the morning?" Asked Jason

Joseph pinned him with a blank uninterested expression.

"OK moving right along. I need  your help" said Jason

"Obviously. How much do you want this time?" Joseph asked in a bored voice as he pulled his checkbook from his pocket.

"Is money all I ever want from you?" Asked Jason clearly offended.

Jason stared at him with yet another bored expression and one brow slightly elevated.

"OK fine maybe, but this time it's not just money," he said

"Fine what's up?" Asked Joseph but he kept his checkbook out just in case.

"I want to go into business with you" Jason stated

Joseph looked at his younger brother and then started to chuckle quietly. His quiet chuckle soon erupted into loud uncontrollable laughter drawing attention from the surrounding customers.

"Not the reaction I expected but laughter is a positive sign, right?" Asked Jason

"Wrong!" Joseph exclaimed "Jason you can't even commit to yourself, why would I even think about hiring you? With everything I have going on right now...no"

"Joseph come on. I know my track record isn't very good but you have to give me a job. Take a chance on me" Jason pleaded

"And who will help Jordan on the ranch?" Asked Joseph

"He just hired some new farm hands"

Joseph looked at his brother's pleading expression and sighed.

"Jason this is a critical time right now. I can't have you slacking off on the job. That would leave me to do both your job and mine." Joseph explained

"I know that. I'll do anything it takes to prove myself." Jason replied

"Anything?" Joseph asked with a mischievous smirk.

"Um...yeah...I think...OK, why do I feel like you're about to let me work my ass off to prove myself to you?" Asked Jason

"Tomorrow morning at eight am sharp. Be in my office to meet the head of HR. I'm sure the mail boy could use some help"

With that, Joseph got up leaving Jason staring at him wide-eyed. He walked out of the coffee shop and back into the sunlight with Jason trailing behind him.

"So...since that's taken care of, how about a place to stay?" Jason asked hopefully

"How about not with me," Joseph replied slipping on his sunglasses.

"Come on! I don't want to stay in that house you bought uptown. I know it's in case any of us needs a place to stay while we're in town but it's so lonely there. I can't stay there." Jason complained

"Why the heck not?" Asked Joseph

"It's too big for one person," said Jason

"And my apartment is too small for the both of us" Joseph replied not intending to budge.

There was no way he was going to open his apartment to his younger brother. Knowing Jason he would have a string of women parading in and out every day of the week.

"Your apartment has three bedrooms" Jason argued

"Exactly, much too small for both of us. See you, tomorrow brother"

Joseph nodded to his driver when the older man opened the car for him.

Giving Jason a job was one thing but sharing an apartment with him was a stretch. Joseph liked his privacy, though lately, that's something he had in short supply.

As the car eased into the afternoon traffic his mind drifted back to the woman from the diner. He found himself intrigued and that didn't happen very often. He made a mental note to go back to the coffee shop another day in case she would turn up.