7

The sound of heels against the marble floor caught his ears through the open office door

The sound of heels against the marble floor caught his ears through the open office door. With his head still slightly lowered he gazed through the glass wall and his eyes caught the sight of some impressive pair of legs, smoothed by skin-toned stockings and made even more impressive by a black pair of heels.

His eyes followed those legs until they entered the room. From the legs, his eyes traveled up a curvy figure that lead up to an impressive-sized chest to the face of an angel.

He grew tense. It was her. He knew her, not just from the coffee shop. Her eyes were hard to forget now that he was seeing her up close. Eyes that zeroed in on him with a razor-sharp stare.

No way.

"Mr. Walters, this is Miranda Tait and Nathan Fernandez. They will be taking over your case. " his secretary instructed before she took a seat behind him to take the minutes for the meeting.

Joseph rose from his chair and accepted the handshake from the male lawyer before turning to her.

She was not happy to see him, if his memory serves him right he couldn't exactly blame her.

He reached out and took her hand which clenched around him as an unmistakable shock traveled up his hand.

From the look on her face, she felt it too. He didn't miss the quick glance at her colleague before her eyes snapped back to him and narrowed slightly.

"It's nice to meet you Mr. Walters." she greeted in a professional tone.

He followed her lead. "Likewise Ms. Tait," Joseph said reluctantly letting go of her hand.

So her last name was the same, why did that please him so much?

The meeting commenced and Joseph found himself impressed by the way she spoke. He sensed some sort of tension between Miranda and her partner but nothing too obvious. She had grown up, man had she grown up. No longer the awkward lanky nerd, she had certainly blossomed into her swan.

Her eyes met his with determination before looking away.

Yes, she had certainly grown up. The awkward girl he remembered couldn't even make eye contact with anyone without a blush staining her cheeks. This confident, calm collected woman before him was a major different person than the girl he knew. She caught him staring again and her brows wrinkled in annoyance.

He fought a smile and turned to her partner that was still talking. Joseph had already committed her image to memory so he didn't need to stare.

Her hair was straight black and caught in a professional updo, her eyes are dark, and her figure was a perfect hourglass. Out of habit, his eyes had fallen to her hand to look for rings. Some women chose to keep their names when married but the absence of a ring made him feel more confident in his assumptions that she wasn't involved with anyone, or at least wasn't married.

Her navy blue suit had a tailored look that was bold against her tanned skin. Her muscle definition was perfect and she had the walk of confidence of someone a decade older than he knew her to be. She wasn't just flawless in her bone structure, her skin was like silk over the glass and she radiated an intelligent beauty.

Joseph tried his best to push her to the back of his mind and focus on her partner who was currently doing most of the talking. At least until that minute, she spoke again and Joseph was captivated. She had the type of voice that got everyone's attention without demanding it. Not too loud or soft.

She spoke with authority and intelligence, he was surprisingly proud.

At the end of the meeting, he was left confident that his case was in the best hands. She obviously knew what she was doing and her partner Nathan, though he was a little cocky for his own good, he also seemed to be one of the best.

He shook their hands as they all agreed to meet the next day for another meeting. He didn't realize he was still holding her hand until she snatched it away as though his touch burnt her delicate skin. His eyes narrowed at her action and her eyes challenged him to do something about it, she's feisty, and he was intrigued.

Just as they all turned to leave the office Jason came waltzing in. He stopped when he saw Miranda and whistled.

Joseph cringed.

"Why hello there." Jason greeted her with a much too friendly handshake.

"Hello Jason," she replied in an even tone.

Joseph saw the surprise on his brother's face and he knew it was because he too had no idea who she was at first glance.

"Well then, you seem to know who I am but I don't usually forget a beautiful face so how come I have no idea who you are?"

Joseph caught the quick glance she threw over her shoulder at him. It was a look that told him she remembers.

"Maybe because back when you knew me I was an awkward, too skinny flat chested rigid nerd with thick glasses."

Joseph held his breath. She does remember everything.

"Um... " his brother replied confused.

"Miranda Tait, good to see you again," she said

Jason stared at her in confusion then his eyes widened in recognition.

"Holy shit! Puberty was generous huh? You've certainly grown up." Jason exclaimed staring unashamedly at her chest area.

"And you've certainly... Um, gotten bigger," she replied

Joseph bit his lip to hide his amused smile.

"That's what she said," Jason replied wiggling his eyebrows causing Joseph to cringe in embarrassment again. "How about we pick up where we left off?"

"Uh, sorry no can do. I'm not available." she threw at him before sending Joseph a pointed glance.

He received her message loud and clear but he could also tell she was lying. Just like he could tell there was no way he was going to let her go, not again.

"Thank you for coming, I hope we can cover more tomorrow and start getting somewhere with this case." Joseph interrupted

They all said their goodbyes as they left the office.

"Damn I want a piece of that," Jason said from next to him.

"Jason," said Joseph as he stood watching Miranda walk away.

"Yeah? " Jason replied turning to him.

"You're fired. " Joseph told him as he walked to his office.

Jason trailed him the whole time protesting.