Madoka Magica

English Name: Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Japanese Name: Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magika

Genre: Adventure, Action, Fantasy, Magic, Thriller, Shojo

Creator: Gen Urobuchi

Director: Akiyuki Shinbo

Episodes: 12

Status: Completed

Air Time: Jan 7, 2011 - Apr 21, 2011

English Dub: Available

Related:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica Film 1: Beginnings
Puella Magi Madoka Magica Film 2: Eternal
Puella Magi Madoka Magica Film 3: Rebellion

Rating: 88/100

Summary: Madoka Kaname and her best friend Sayaka Miki are just average school girls. That is until a mysterious transfer student joins their class. Her name is Homura Akemi and she is a magical girl. Of course young Madoka and Sayaka have no idea what this means, that is until they meet Kube, a cat-like familiar. Kube offers the girls a proposition. "Make a contract with me and you will be granted one wish. In return, you will become a magical girl and spend your time fighting witches." Although Madoka and Sayaka are entranced by the offer, Homura urges them not to sign the contract, for being a magical girl is not everything that it seems. Follow Madoka and the girls on this magical ride from the real world, into the dark side.

Pros:
-The story itself is just amazing
-It really gets you thinking about our world and what humanity really is
-There is a theme and a moral that you will never forget
-All the characters are very well thought-out with complex personalities of their own
-Each girl has a backstory that adds to who they are in the anime
-Even the settings were thought-out and used accordingly
-Different color schemes are used to set the mood (i.e. Black backgrounds and spooky creatures are added to the darker scenes)
-The voice actors have very good accents in both the original and the English dub

Cons:
-The graphics are not very good at all compared to most other animes
-A lot of the colors are flat and there are a lot of lines not placed correctly
-With such a complex plot, and only 12 episodes, the story is a bit rushed
-It may change your morals (which may not be a bad thing lol)

My Opinion: I absolutely love the plot, the concept, and the theme of this anime. I think that the characters are very well thought out and have their own complicated personalities and life situations. Each girl had their own backstory and each tells the starry of how they became who they are today. I partially love it for this reason, but partially hate it for the fact that it looks so happy and fun, but it is really so dark and mysterious. It will make you rethink the world around you. The one thing that I hate about this show is the graphics. I find the art style very messy and not as good as most other animes I've seen. There are so many lines and it's a lot of flat colors. Although the art isn't the best, the story definitely makes up for it and I still strongly recommend you check this show out.

Tips: Prepare for a rollercoaster of emotions. If you think this is going to be a cute, happy show, you have never been more wrong. Get ready for a trip to the dark side.

I hope my explanation met all your standards. Although the rating isn't as high as the last anime I reviewed, I still highly recommend you check this show out, just because of how amazing the plot is. Plus it's short and you can. 😉

Please hit the like button if this is helpful. Feel free to comment your own opinion if it's different than mine. Thanks for reading!

Oh, one more quick question. Which anime do you guys want me to review next? I have a bunch that I want to do and you can help me decide. My thoughts were No Game No Life, Your Lie in April, Spirited Away, Fairy Tail, Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan, Death Note, Re: Zero... There's a bunch more but we can start with those. Which one/ones are you most interested in?