19

It was dark. Screams filled the air. I could hear the panting of my own breath within the night. The adrenaline was the only thing that made me stay. I had to help my men. They were being slaughtered by an unknown identity. I had to find out what to do and fast. Someone was calling my name.

With my sword clenched in my hand, I prayed for the first time in my life. I didn't know how to, but I did the best I could. It seemed like the right time to do it. A moment later, I stepped out from the tree I was hiding behind, such a cowardly thing to do in a situation like this. Bodies littered the ground. I stepped in the mixed blood of my soldiers. I stopped when I heard a distant cry of pain to my right. Then, there was nothing. The quiet was deafening. No wind. No cries of pain. No cries of battle. No nothing. Just silence. I began hearing a ringing in my ears from this deadly silence. Then, there was noise again. I was faint but still heard. A rustle from the bushes. I slowly approached the bush. I was ready to fight, but there was no monster or creature behind that bush. It was Philip and Joseph. A few others kneeled behind them. They were terrified by the looks of it.

"Myrddin," Philip breathed, "where the hell have you been? What do we do?" I looked panicked. I looked over at my soldiers. I saw one with tears in his eyes, but not one fell down. He was the smallest of the group. At that moment, I wasn't sure what to do. It was too dark to see the creature. A majority of my army was dead. I wanted to say fall back, but that strategy was unpredictable with a roaming, murderous creature. Still, it was the only chance we have of leaving the forest. I can't have any more men slaughtered.

"Is there any other survivors left?" I asked them. There was only eleven men sitting in front of me including Philip and Joseph. Joseph looked around before nodding.

"I saw Sir Thomas take four other men to safety," Joseph replied. I nodded my head in understanding. I pondered my thoughts before coming to a conclusion: I had to get them out of the damned forest.

"We're leaving tonight, right now. I don't care if we are a two days before leaving, but we can't stay in this forest any longer. Do I make myself clear?" I asked them. They all nodded their heads. We didn't need any formality at the moment. Our only mission was to get everyone out.

"What about Sir Thomas and the others?" Philip asked.

"Joseph, where exactly did they go?" He thought for a moment. He pointed towards his right.

"Over there," he replied.

"Alright," I paused for a moment of thought, "Philip, get the children as far from here as you can. Joseph, you're with me."

"Children?" Joseph asked. I realized what I had said, but in that moment, they were just children, not soldiers.

"Yes, children. Now let's go!" I whispered to him. Philip led them away as Joseph and I ran in the direction he pointed in. There was a weird sound as we got closer. Before we moved any further, we saw a glimpse of the monster.

The area where his eyes should have been was covered in blood and only a sunken black abyss was left. It was a black creature with a long, sharp tail. It's mouth was large enough to eat two humans whole when it opened. It had no arms except for the large wings at its sides. It was skinny. Deathly skinny. I could see the creatures bones sticking out. I couldn't tell if it was just its appearance or if it was from the lack of food supply. We didn't stay long to find out.

Quietly, we made our way to the others. They hid under a rocky area behind some bushes. The children looked terrified. I could tell they were trying to stay strong, but there fear overpowered them. After everything that happened, I wouldn't blame them. Thomas was different. He was as terrified, but instead, gave orders of battle.