19 - Ain't No Party Like A Werewolf Party

Start from the beginning

"Go!" Genie's voice slapped me back to reality. My heart pounded in my ears as I looked back at Genie with a wild look in my eyes. I could not do this. She waved her hands at me in a shooing motion and gave me a hopeful smile. I swallowed dryly and looked back at the werewolves waiting for me to come down.

Cursing Lucian out with every bad word I could think of, I gritted my teeth and stepped carefully down the stairs. I could hear soft gasps and murmurs filling the ballroom. Lucian looked even more handsome in a charcoal suit. His bronze hair was styled back, defying gravity at its fingers. His grey eyes were golden again, glowing vibrantly as I made my way down. Somehow, I managed to make my way down the steps without falling. Lucian grinned and took my hand as I stood beside him, looking over the entire crowd.

The werewolves were even more stunning up close. Every man had a woman by his side, like it was some stoic wedding. The men wore black, formal suits and the women donned fancy dresses that looked like it would cost more than the entire town of Draycott. Each wolf had glowing eyes, ranging from scarlet's to a deep lavender while the humans smiled. I was mesmerized by their beauty for a moment before Lucian's presence drew me back.

"You are so gonna get it tonight." I hissed quietly, so that no one but him could hear it. I didn't know how sensitive werewolf ears were though. Lucian wrapped an arm around my waist, gazing at me with an expression I couldn't place. Since we were in public, I didn't bother moving away.

"I'm looking forward to it." he whispered into my ear. My heart leaped when he placed a gentle kiss near my jaw. "Victoria Checke, you are simply stunning." His fingers rested near the base of my throat. "I can't wait to rip that dress off you, little mate. How loud can you scream my name?"

Oh, sweet baby alpacas.

Without waiting for a reply, he turned back to the crowd and raised a glass of champagne. The soft whispers slowly died out. I spotted Vaughn and Genie near the front. Genie caught my eye and gave me a supportive thumbs up that did nothing but raise the beating of my heart.

"My name is Lucian Nayati, son of Demetri Nayati and the rightful Alpha of the Winter Wolf Pack of London." he spoke with a tone that instantly captured everyone's attention without much effort. "And this is my mate, Victoria Alana Checke. My father lost his place for not finding his other half in time before the Elder's Declaration. That fate has not befallen me, and for that I am truly grateful. The Winter Wolves have been around before the Elders were even formed. Many respected leaders have protected the Winter Wolves for centuries, and I hope to live up to this respected name. Our pack is stronger now, fully complete with Victoria."

This all sounded like utter crap to me but I kept smiling.

"Attempts have already happened to my beloved Victoria. The Winter Wolves are sworn to protect her. We will not go down so easily." Lucian growled, his tone becoming darker. "I will protect Victoria with my life. Tonight, you all have come to welcome Victoria into the world. Our world. Evil will come, but good will always reign. Anyone who dares touch my mate will have to answer to me!"

A bit dramatic, if you ask me.

"Thank you all for coming." Lucian raised his glass up in the air. It when then that I noticed that the liquid inside was a deep cherry red, but it didn't look like wine. The concoction looked thicker and more clotted. Most everyone had the same liquid inside that Lucian did. Before the thought could travel into some unwanted horror, I pushed it out of my mind and forced a smile.

Lucian talked for what felt like hours. Even a minute would feel like a long time when you're standing in front of important supernatural creatures from all over the world who came to see you while a handsome werewolf holding a wine glass full of blood droned on and on about the importance of love and loyalty. Lucian's speech didn't even sound rehearsed, although it probably was. He made every word sound truthful because he was a cunning bastard. And everyone seemed captured by it. I didn't understand how they did it. I seemed to be the only one getting restless after a full half hour of Lucian talking.

Finally, to my relief, he said, "The Winter Wolves are truly grateful for your attendance." Lucian turned his head and kissed my cheek gently, earning a loud aww from the people. "Non nisi boni esse, ut in brumali lupos. Now let's get on with it!"

And with that, the whole ballroom erupted into cheers and laughter. As soon as all eyes were off me, I pulled away from Lucian. He stared at me with a dark expression, eyes guarded as he took a sip from the glass. The liquid left a red stain on his lips. His tongue flicked out seductively and caught the drops before they fell. I turned away, blushing madly.

"Victoria, thank you." Lucian caught my wrist and pulled me back to the warmth of his arms. I stifled uncomfortably, feeling some eyes return to me. To take my attention away from the nervous flutters Lucian's closeness bought, I focused on the death heels on my feet. "I am forever in your debt for this. You did not have to come tonight. You should not have, not after what happened. But we will talk about that later. You can go change if you want, Vaughn is ending the night with a bonfire on the grounds."

That was it? That was the entire mating festival? I guess it wasn't so bad after all.

I tugged at the dress uncomfortably, turning to leave. Lucian wouldn't remove his arms though. "Okay." I said breathlessly. "You can let go now."

There was a strange, dark glint in Lucian's eyes. I felt even more self-conscious as he looked me up and down. He pulled me closer and dipped his head so that the words went directly into my ear. "You look amazing, Victoria. I truly mean that." His warm lips touched mine for the briefest second. I could have melted right there and then if not for Genie, who tugged me away. I could feel Lucian's eyes on my back as we ran back up the stairs, even though it was damn near impossible to run in heels.

"That was so cute, Vic!" Genie squealed like a pig, her face making the most adorable expression I had seen. I laughed, slightly relieved to be away from the mesmerizing eyes. Genie and I walked back to the bedroom. "Seriously, that was the cutest thing I had ever seen. You guys are perfect together! Lucian and you are written in the stars now. Come on, say it. That wasn't so bad, right?"

"I guess." I answered insecurely, flicking on the light switch. The full moon was partially visible through the trees in the balcony. Genie walked over and stared out as I pulled the dress off. "Maybe it was pretty good. After all, I didn't completely make a fool of myself. Or fall down the stairs. I can't believe it's finished. That happened so quick. Getting all dressed up seems like a dumb thing to do now." I hung the dress up and picked out a warm wool sweater. Black, of course.

"No, it's not done at all!" Genie corrected. "We still have that bonfire, remember?"

"Yeah, but it won't be as important, right?"

"Are you kidding? That bonfire is the most important part of a mating festival. That whole dressy thing was just the first part of it. You have to go around and talk to everyone, you know, like a meet and greet. You have to introduce yourself into our world. I'm sure Lucian has something planned. Not to mention the Elder's folktale."

"What's that?" I shrugged on the comfy sweater and some ripped jeans. 

"It's a story that every Alpha tells at their mating festival. It's like the history of the their wolf pack. A story passed down from generation to generation. No one has heard the Winter Wolve's history and no one knows it except for Lucian and the Elders and his line of Alpha's." Genie explained as I added some biker boots and a golden heart necklace.

"This is all so....wow. I don't know your perspective." I said. Genie turned around. The moonlight behind her shadowed her entire body and added a blue-white halo around her. "I guess it's different for me because I'm human. I don't know if I'll ever get used to this. You know, being around overly attractive supernatural beings and their strange traditions. Does it get easier...dealing with all those strange reactions when you're around Vaughn?"

"Never." Genie started undoing my hair. "But it's not supposed to, Victoria. Those strange feelings you get around Lucian...that is the definition of a Luna Bonda. It's not supposed to ever go away. Think of it like going on a first date with your crush. Except over time, human love will eventually dull. Being around one person, even though you love them very much, doesn't get to be as exciting as the first time. When you meet your mate, those feelings will never go away or dull or be broken. Eternal love, Victoria. Isn't that a good thing?"

I didn't know the answer to that question either.