Touched

Denden is rushing to the ER. She saw someone standing not far from the door but her back's on Den.

Den ignored her and immediately went inside the room.

The patient is wearing a white dress. Her face is covered with blood. She also has cuts and bruises on her arms, neck, and face.

Denden asked for a copy of the paramedics' report. The other staff are busy changing the patients clothes and cleaning her wounds.

They found out that the blood came from a laceration on the upper part of the patient's forehead.

Den looked again at the report: car accident. Must be the shards of glass. Den thought.

The other doctor immediately stitched the deep cut. Dr. Lazaro could now clearly see the patient's face.

"Bang," Den exclaimed. Then the girl outside must be... Alyssa. Den thought.

This is not the way Den wanted to see the two of them. Actually, Den wished that she'll never get to see them together personally.

Den immediately took her mind of the two. She has to focus on the patient.

"Her vital signs are stable for now," said Den's supervisor.

"It's stated in the report that she has a GCS score of 3T. She was totally unresponsive and the paramedic team had her intubated," said Den.

"Wounds and bruises are minor. Must be a brain injury," Den added.

"The patient must undergo CT scan, please prepare the room," the other doctor instructed the staff.

"Paramedics said that it seems that there are no broken bones. But I suggest we double check. Let's also make sure that no foreign objects, especially tiny shards of glass, had entered her open wounds," Den instructed.

"You're doing a good job, Dr. Lazaro. I'll check the patient again, then I'll talk to the family. Let's deliberate when the results are in," said the head doctor.

Den wanted to go outside the room without Aly noticing her. But as she opened the door, she heard a shout of anger.

"Hindi ba sinabi ko sayo ingatan mo siya! Anong nangyari Aly ha? Anong nangyari?" said Mama Bha while slapping and hitting Aly.

Sinalo lang lahat ni Aly ang galit ni Mama Bha.

"Bha, tama na yan," pigil ni Mario.

The head doctor went out of the ER and said, "Where is the family? I need to talk to them."

"Nandito po kami, Doc," said Don.

Aly's still standing in front of Mama Bha. Nilagpasan na siya ng lahat but she remained standing.

It hurt Den to see Aly in such situation. She wanted to hug her but she knows that it's not the right thing to do at the moment and that she has no right na gawin iyon. She was about to go when Aly moved.

Aly leaned her back on the wall tapos biglang napaupo na lang sa sahig.

Den noticed that Aly has wounds too so she approached her.

Tulala pa din si Aly. This is supposed to be a happy night. Anong nangyari? Tanong niya sa sarili.

"Stand up. We have to get you fixed," said Den.

Para namang natauhan si Aly. I know that voice. She slowly lifted her head and saw the girl who broke her heart. Iniwasan niya ng tingin ito. She remained seated.

Denden grabbed Aly's hand. Hinatak naman agad ni Aly ang kamay niya.

That stings, Den thought. This is the first time in 3 years na nahawakan niya si Aly and all she felt is her anger.

She felt a lump on her throat pero pinigilan niyang umiyak. She has duties to her patients so she just turned her back on Aly and said, "Follow me."

Aly heard that Den asked her to follow her. Hindi niya maintindihan pero napatayo siya. It's like her feet have a mind of their own.

Dati, pag narinig niyang galit na ang boses ni Den, her body starts to freeze because of fear. I guess her voice still has authority over my body. That must be it. Aly thought.

---------------------------

They are now in Den's office. Den went straight to the cr, opened the door, then turned the light on.

"Here," Den said.

Aly saw Den standing in front of the sink when she entered the cr. Not sure of what to do, tumayo siya sa tabi nito.

Den looked at Aly's hands. She hesitated to reach for those hands but she has to do it. Den touched Aly's hands. Napansin niyang hindi naman ito tumanggi kaya agad niya itong tinapat sa gripo.

Aly's hands are full of Bang's blood. Den continued to wash them. After that, she handed Aly a towel and went out of the cr.

She grabbed her first aid kit and placed it on her table. She sat on a chair and gestured Aly to sit on the chair in front of her.

Den has started treating Aly's wounds. Aly couldn't help but look at Den's hands while the latter are cleaning her wounds on her arms. Is this real? Aly's asking herself. She couldn't believe she's feeling Den's touch again.

Denden now is treating the wounds on Aly's face and neck. Aly just looked at Den's eyes. She still can't believe that she's seeing those eyes again in such a close distance.

Napansin naman ni Den ang pagtingin nito. Den looked back at her.

They are looking at each other's eyes for quite a time ng matauhan si Aly.

"Doc, how is she?" Aly blurted out.

"She's stable for now. She has to undergo CT scan. There's a possible brain injury. We have yet to know the extent of the damage." Sinagot ni Den pero sobrang nasaktan talaga siya sa salitang "Doc".

Ganoon ba siya kagalit na she can't even call me by name? Naisip ni Den. Naiiyak na siya.

Aly displayed a worried but defeated look. She hates herself for momentarily forgetting about Bang at pagod din siya sa nangyaring aksidente.

"I suggest you prepare yourself for the results. You have to be strong for her. In the mean time, you can rest at the sofa there. I will also ask someone to assist you for an xray after you rested. We have to make sure that you have no broken bones," said Den.

"I want to see her," Aly said.

"Hindi ka rin nila papayagan. Please have patience."

Parang wala ng magawa si Alyssa so she went to the sofa.

Denden went out of the room at doon na niya ibinuhos lahat ng emosyon na nararamdaman niya.