Chapter 12 - The Witch.

Emily laid with droplets of sweat trickling down her forehead. Her skin was pale and she felt exhausted, breathless as the minutes passed. After fifteen miles of driving, the blonde had begun feeling unwell. She'd told Victoria and the older woman promised to stop at the next inn they came across for the night.

Another two miles and the jeep pulled into the parking lot of an old Bed and Breakfast. She took Emily bridal style into the building, a bell chiming as they entered.

"I need a room for the night." She spoke hastily, Emily's eyes now fluttering closed.
The greying woman at the desk stared at her over thick glasses. "Let me see what we have."

The woman's eyes scanned the old computer monitor for a few minutes before clapping once. "Aha!" she searched for a few seconds before handing Victoria a set of keys. "Room 614. How will you be paying?"
"I'll pay in a few minutes. I just need to take her into the room."
The woman gave the two a suspicious stare before nodding.

Victoria took the key with Emily still folded in her arms and headed down the long hallway that led to the room. She propped the door open, rushing over to lay Emily on the double bed. The room was small with outdated furniture scattered about.

The older woman stared at Emily as she drifted in and out of consciousness. She had an idea about what was happening, but would need someone with much more knowledge to confirm her suspicions. Once she'd married Annabelle and the possibility of pregnancy was discussed, the castle's Maesters at the time gave them several warnings to heed—if they would ever need it. He'd said that if Annabelle was to ever have life come from her loins, it would require an obscene amount of energy. The child would feed from the hybrid's strength once they were close enough.

Victoria's suspicion was that Emily being away from Annabelle was causing her to become ill. The fact that she was a human only made her symptoms worse. If the woman's suspicions were right, keeping them apart could result in the blonde's death.

She was at a loss. Caught between a rock and a hard place. The rock being, everything in her being telling her to do whatever she could to make Emily's journey—a journey Victoria never managed to complete—a seamless one. While the hard place was the fact that the blonde would probably do much better in the company of the Hybrid.

She didn't want to betray Emily by reaching out to Annabelle, but the fear of the younger woman not surviving the distance gnawed at Victoria like a rabid animal clawing at the pit of her stomach.

The wolf ran a lukewarm bath, putting Emily into the ceramic tub once it filled. The girl was burning up. She used a wash cloth to sop the blonde's forehead with cold water, whispering that everything would be okay. As her eyes roamed over the pale woman, all she could think of was how much Annabelle probably didn't deserve her. Emily wasn't perfect—the fiery blonde sure did have her ways, but it was nothing compared to what she'd endured these past few months.

But—who was she to determine who did deserve Emily?

She continued to soothe Emily's skin with the cloth, hoping it would help to ease any pain she may be feeling. Victoria leaned over the tub, recalling a time when Annabelle was the sweetest woman she'd ever known. The way she'd express herself, the way she'd made her thoughts and feelings known. The hybrid was an open book

"You know...I don't think I can picture myself with anyone else." Annabelle spoke between kisses. "I'm not sure what will become of us getting married but I'm willing to risk it all for you."

Victoria's heart fluttered in her chest. In her prime, only recently joined the Royal pack; she quickly moved up the ranks. She thought people would think it was simply due to her relationship with the princess but many have seen and acknowledged her true strength.