Chapter 21- Gideon.

The hybrid glanced down at Emily; their child attached to one of her breasts with his eyelids fluttering slowly as he began drifting to sleep. Annabelle's heart was full. She felt so many different emotions as she stared at the two—sadness, love, joy, so much joy.

"You know, we're going to have to name him eventually." Annabelle spoke softly.

Blue eyes looked up at her, seemingly lost in thought. "What do you think about Gideon?"

The older woman chuckled. It was an ancient name, one as old as time. She knew what it meant, but was almost sure Emily had no idea.

"Are you sure you don't want to go with something simple, like Mark?" it was entirely a joke. Annabelle hated that name.

"Our son is anything but simple." The smaller woman frowned below her. "He's Gideon—the great destroyer. Your heir."

So, Emily did know what that name meant. Of course she would; the woman loved her books. She'd probably read every one in Annabelle's study before moving over to the east wing.

"Right you are." The taller woman leaned down, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead. "I love it."

"In all the confusion, I think we forgot to prepare for the actual arrival of this child."

"What do you mean?" Annabelle raised a brow.

"Like...baby things. Clothes, bibs, pampers, bottles? You know, essentials?"

"Oh, you mean like those comfy adult diapers I got you?"

Emily's cheeks flushed. "I wouldn't need them if I didn't just give birth to your big-headed child."

Annabelle feigned hurt. "Oh, she didn't mean that pookie." She gently lifted Gideon from his mother's chest. The babe was fast asleep. She placed him in the small wooden crib she'd been fighting with for the last two hours.

"I see you finally got it to work." The blonde spoke with a small smile on her lips.

She struggled to her feet with Annabelle rushing to her side once Gideon was safely in his crib.

"Where are you going woman?"

"I need to stretch my legs." Emily groaned.

"In that case...." Annabelle disappeared out of the room, reappearing in a few seconds with a maid. "I want to show you something."

Although she would only be taking Emily to the room right next door, she had no intentions of leaving their child alone. The queen held the smaller woman's hand, slowly leading her out into the hallway. She pushed the door of the room adjacent and heard a small gasp escape Emily's lips.

"You got all this?"

"Mhm," the woman hummed.

The room was filled with cases of pampers, from zero to six months. More wipes than the blonde could ever count. Small plastic tubs held clothing of various sizes and color.
"Don't ask me where I found the time." The older woman spoke. "And I wasn't sure just how long we'd be in the North...but this should be enough?"

Emily looked up at her in adoration, "You're going to be such an amazing mom."

The queen's eyes met hers before flickering to her lips. She licked her own lips in response, hoping, praying Annabelle would do what she thought the woman contemplated on doing. She'd been feeling extremely needy since giving birth. There was nothing more Emily wanted in that moment than to be held by the woman who'd invaded her mind almost every single day for the last eleven months.

Annabelle leaned in, joining their lips. Her hands slipped around the blonde's waist that was much fuller post-pregnancy. Her tongue snuck between the woman's lips, basking in the warmth of Emily's mouth.

A painful cry seeped into the hallway, causing Annabelle to pull back abruptly. Without a second thought she was beside Gideon's crib. The boy's cries echoed in the room; a sound Annabelle hadn't heard until now. It was the first time he cried.

She was about to lift him up when she noticed a small cut near his heel. A drop of blood soaked into the blanket below his tiny foot. The woman's chest went tight. Annabelle had been so quick to reach the crib that she hadn't noticed the maid lying unconscious in the corner.

Emily bore through the door only seconds later. She stared at the maid, then at Annabelle questioningly. "What the hell happened in here?"

Annabelle held their child in her arms, showing the cut that had already began healing to his other mother. She placed the child in Emily's arms before walking into the en-suite.

"We're about to find out."

The blonde sat at the edge of the bed, rocking the infant gently. He was no longer crying, and the small slit on his heel almost completely healed. The taller woman reappeared from the bathroom with a glass of water in hand, emptying its contents onto the maid's face. The woman shuddered awake, blinking a few times before staring wide-eyed at the queen.

Annabelle was visibly enraged. Her claws were out, fangs rearing their sharp ends as she spoke. "What happened?"

The woman scrambled to her feet, giving a deep bow. "I blinked and he was standing beside the crib. I was knocked out before I could scream." Her voice was pleading.

"Who?" she growled. "Who had the gall, the audacity to lay even a finger on my child?"

"It was your brother—Geoffrey your grace."

Emily's breath hitched at the mention of the vampire's name; instantly remembering their last interaction. She could feel the cold hands wrapped around her neck all over again as she clutched Gideon to her chest. The birth of their child had been a welcomed distraction from the wrath they were about to face—and it appeared they would face it sooner rather than later.

***

Manny watched from the tunnel as the bad man reappeared near the exit. He forced his way between the bent bars and sat beside the older blonde woman.

"Any trouble?" Lena asked.
"It was easy. I guess one of the perks of growing up here." Geoffrey pulled a vial from his pocket. Blood filled the small container only quarter of the way.

"Is this all you got?" the woman scoffed. "I guess there's no room for error."

"Did you expect me to walk with my dear nephew's leg? I got what I could before Annabelle ripped my fucking head off."

Lena pulled a granite pestle and mortar (bowl and crusher) set from her shoulder bag. She placed some herbs into the mortar, grinding them into a fine dust with the pestle. Her hands shook as she emptied the contents of the vial into the bowl. A few additions and the concoction was complete.

"What is that?" Manny whispered, eyeing the pink liquid his mother drained into a separate vial.

Lena shushed him, focused on making sure not a single drop was missed.

"This is all we need?" Geoffrey raised an unbelieving brow.

"Yes." She secured the vial in her bag, putting the other tools away. "She's weak. The birth of that child should have drained them both significantly. We just need to get this vial to her lips."

The vampire nodded, his hand slipping beneath her palm. They'd gotten...close. The two had known each other almost a century now after all—they were bound to have gotten...close.

"I'll summon the dreadful at sundown." She said, excitement coursing through her veins. She had more than five hundred men under her control now—not including those who'd already been destroyed in battle.

Geoffrey gave a small smile in response to the woman's excitement. Their plans were finally coming to a head. This would be his last night as an outcast, his last night only being known as Annabelle's younger brother.

Tomorrow the sun rises with him as King.