"What you're implying," I snapped, shutting the thick book closed with a heavy thud. "Was illegal in the 1900s. We both could have been killed, so let me tell you, we definitely weren't-"

"But it's not illegal now," Mike shrugged. "This isn't the 20th century or anything."

"Mike," I snapped. "Kellin and I were friends. You know I was-"

Mike put up a hand in defense. "I know, I know. Dani and all of that. I remember her, don't worry. I might not want to remember her after all of these years... but I do."

"Then you understand why I hate him," I sighed, looking back down at the table and trying not to be overcome by years of emotion. Even after a century, the memories never failed to haunt me.

"I don't actually," Mike said slowly, carefully. He knew he was treading over a line here and he was trying his best to tiptoe as gently as he could over it. "Nobody knows what happened to them."

He looked up at me, waiting for me to offer an explanation. I hadn't spoken about this for years, promising myself that I would try to put it all behind me. I hadn't managed to forget yet, no matter how hard I was trying to.

"I don't know myself," I said in a final tone.

Mike sighed, the disappointment rolling off his shoulders like fog. "Vic, it's been a hundred years. How could you still feel guilty?"

"It's my fault," I said in a soft tone. "I was the reason for-"

"You didn't do anything," Mike said quickly, jumping to mend the hole he had created. The one thing I did not want to talk about was this and he had forced me into it.
"You were a kid, Vic."

I opened my mouth to argue that it was Kellin and I who had destroyed the school. That it was actually us who had done all those things all those years ago.

Mike didn't know I had had a hand in it though. Nobody really knew what had happened except Kellin and I'd never stuck around long enough after that to recover with him.

But Hayley walked in and all thoughts of the destruction we'd caused flew out of my head.

"Did you find anything yet?" she asked cheerily, placing two huge binders down on the desk.

Mike and I exchanged glances and then shook our heads.

-

"Maybe we can go back there someday," Tony said lazily, his eyes closing shut as he spoke.

"You want to go back to the place where you almost died?" Jaime asked quizzically. "Can you believe these young people and their shenanigans, Vic?"

I laughed at that, especially the way Tony rolled his eyes impatiently and snapped back that he was practically the same age as us.

"You're like our child," Jaime teased. "Vic and I are your gay dads-"

"I'm bringing this conversation to a stop immediately," I said, laughing. "I don't think I can joint parent with you."

"But you're open to being in a relationship with me," Jaime grinned, pointing a finger in my direction. "So marriage is a yes, but children are a no."

"Everything with you is a no," I said. "I'm happy to sit in my abandoned old tower with my cat, reading up on ancient spells."

"He's literally Mother Gothel," Tony laughed. "Think about it. He lives in a tower and he broods."

"Does that make Kellin his Rapunzel?" Jaime laughed.