Chapter 5: Ethan

The backs of my calves begin to burn, my throat becoming dry as I grow tired of running. I pass a grocery store, a few nice homes, and a few cafe's before coming back toward the motel in which Sam, Dean, and I are staying. I swallow thickly, trying to moisten my dry throat as I see Sam and Dean both standing by the doorway of our room. The door is wide open, and Dean is on the phone—looking frantic. As soon as they see me, Dean hangs up the phone quickly. His green eyes lock with mine like they always do. He gives me a look of anger and confusion, shaking his head as my running slows when I finally reach him. Sam lets out a huge sigh of relief, placing his hand over his forehead as he walks back into the room, shaking his head.

"Are you serious right now?" Dean asks, raising his voice slightly with me while also raising his hands in the air. I narrow my brows in confusion, catching my breath as I tilt my head in question. What's the big deal? What's going on?

"You were running? Are you serious? I tried to call you like ten times." Dean says as he holds his phone up in front of me. "Yes...I was running. I turn my phone off when I run so that no one interrupts me. What's the big deal?" I question him, crossing my arms over my chest. His chest beats up and down quickly with every breath he takes. He's all worked up. Just because he didn't know where I was?

"The big deal is you didn't tell either of us you were going, you just disappeared and your phone was going straight to voicemail." He argues, his voice getting quieter but his tone continues to be angry.

"You were asleep. I didn't want to wake you." I say, rolling my eyes as I take a deep breath, walking into the motel room.

"You scared the hell out of us. Just, mention to one of us that you're going somewhere next time. Or leave a note, hell, leave a text." Sam says as he sits down at the small table in the corner of the room. I sigh, nodding in agreement, understanding. "Alright, fine. I'm sorry, it's just habit. I'll warn you next time."

Dean walks back into the room, closing the door behind him. "What time's your date?" Sam asks, lifting up the screen of his laptop. "In about an hour or so. I gotta get ready." I say, pulling my tennis shoes off. Dean looks around the room, clearly confused. "Wait—date? What date?" He asks.

"Oh yeah I forgot to tell you. Elena told me last night while you were sleeping." Sam explains shortly. "Why didn't you mention this immediately after we picked you up yesterday?" Dean asks. I shrug, shaking my head. "I don't know, I thought you just wanted to know what my first impression was. And then I remembered I promised him a lunch date." I say, walking over to my suitcase.
  "You're not going on a date with him. Alone? Are you kidding? That's a terrible idea." Dean says, suddenly sounding protective and unhappy with the initial plan we had made yesterday. What the hell? He's the one who wanted me to do this—to use my flirtatious charm and looks to get this guy to tell me everything we all need to know. Why's he back-tracking now? Why does he even care?

"Uhh—yes I am. I can do whatever I want. I'm a hunter, I can protect myself." I say as I unzip my bag, searching for some kind of nice outfit to wear. Dean crosses his muscular arms and narrows his eyes at me. "No. No way." He says sternly, to which I look over at him and give him a look of confusion and semi-shock.

"Okay, one—you are not my boss. Two—you wanted me to do this. I could get all kinds of information out of him. This is my job now, Winchester. Let me do it." I say as my eyes stare into his for a moment before I got back to searching for an outfit in my bag.

Dean looks over to Sam for support but Sam agrees with me. "She's right, Dean. I don't see a problem with it. She can protect herself." Sam backs me up, looking over at Dean with just as much confusion as myself.

Dean sighs, biting the inside of his cheeks as his jaw clenches slightly. I pull out a red dress, along with my black leather jacket and Dean rolls his eyes. "Alright, fine." Is all he replies with, grabbing his jacket and opening up the door.