16

Jonathan Davies was on the trial stand, along with his teammate, Piper Zadora. They were wearing their Informer uniforms. They were briefing them on her meeting with Sebastian, Bryce, and Heidi. John was confident, and kept calm; his sister being apart of the Judges Stand didn't faze him the slightest bit. He was in charge of choosing missions, training, and preparing all members of his battalion. Piper was skilled in many areas, but she excelled most in facts.

"As I've stated, Officials, Sebastian Talbot knows as much as you all do. He is awaiting your verdicts, however concerned about the girl, Cicely Dixon. Daughter of the late Patrice Hayes, and the Quondam, Malcolm Dixon." She said, Valerie twitched at those facts, and rose to her feet.

[State the facts... AND new information.] She thought

"Informers, Cicely Dixon is the one variable we all share in common. She is tied to the Veer, Peter Talbot, and is the main focus of Charles Mathis, we are not sure why that is, unfortunately, but you will be briefed on the subject beforehand. We will also deal with the alleged misdemeanors of one Abigail Forrest." She said, the Informers were in shock. They had no idea that CJ and Charles Mathis were connected in any way. Valerie and her partners retreated from the Stand. 

   Hours later, Valerie and Keith Nie were entertaining themselves. They were keeping their relationship a secret, from everyone. Being with him made her happy, and safe. She only wanted it private to spare his son and her job. She was content, but always worried that her ex-husband would find her; she lived with this fear every day.

         Peter was driving a brown truck down the road. CJ stared out of the window to avoid his gaze. She was clearly still angry with him for Will's injuries. The ride was silent, until Peter finally spoke. "Nice night, huh?"

She responded sarcastically. "Yeah, it's fantastic."

Peter felt confused and annoyed. "Hang on a second." He pulled his truck over. She finally looked at him. "I saved you and your friend. As hard as it was for my powers--I healed you both! And all you can give me...is freakin' sarcasm!?"

She glared at him. "You hurt my best-friend! He's all bruised up, thanks to you!"

He smirked and chuckled. "Oh, that. Those were just defensive wounds, Girlie. He hit me first, so I defended myself." 

He put the car back into drive. 

"Why did you fight him at all?" She asked

"Well, he was really pissed about your car accident."

She pouted in the opposite direction. "He can't heal fast like you can. And you did wreck my auto. So...you deserved it."

He chuckled in disbelief. "You're the one who ran me over!"

She looked at him with frustration. "Whose the one who came outta nowhere!?"

"I was just doin' my job!"

"Which was what, exactly!?" She interjected

"Protecting you!"

She calmed down. "W-What are you talkin' about?"

He sighed. "There's this bad guy--who's been looking for you."

"Why? What does he want with me?"

"Nobody knows just yet. Burning Man was probably trying to kidnap you."

She scoffed in disbelief. "Felt more like he was trying to kill me. But, he works for the guy who's after me?"

Peter nodded, he felt a sudden regret. "Look--"

She interrupted with sadness. "I'm sorry. I didn't know, and I took it out on you."

"I'm sorry too, the accident was my fault after all. I should've said somethin' sooner. I'm also sorry about my sister. Bailey can be a little...hostile when it comes to strangers."

CJ nodded in acknowledgement. "She's not exactly my favorite person at the moment."

"What about me?"

She gave him a suspicious smirk. "I don't hate you right now. But, give it time."

She chuckled and started to glow orange again. Peter noticed, but tried to stay focused on the road. He swallowed quietly, the girl noticed his anxious expression. "What's with you? It was just a joke, you know."

"Y-Yeah, I know." He hits the brakes quickly. CJ jerked forward. She looked at him with annoyance. "Never got you back for runnin' me over in the first place."

She smiled politely and kicked him hard in the leg. 

He chuckled with amusement. "Was that supposed to hurt? You hu-mans are so...dainty."

She felt frustrated and looked away out of the window again. He finally pulled onto her property. 

     The girl unbuckled her seat belt and opened the door. She looked at him. 

"Um, thanks."

"Yeah, no problem."

She ran off to her front door and stopped, she turned to look at him.

"Peter?"

He turned to look at her. "Y-Yeah?"

"Thank you, for saving both me and Doug. Maybe, you're not so bad...when you smile at least."

She ran off to her front door. He watched her leave and sighed heavily.