Ivy saw them first. "You've got visitors!"

Kitera lowered her sword, barely out of breath. "Go spar with someone else."

Ivy nodded and jogged out to another group of people. Kitera sheathed her sword at her hip and looked up at Noah. She put on a brave front, standing tall and fit with her long tresses tied back and kohl lining her eyes. But Noah knew her well and could tell something was off. She seemed tired, exhausted even, as she came closer and pulled him into a hug.

He threw his arms around her, closing his eyes as his tense muscles started to relax.

"We rode from Quickrivers," he said quietly as they pulled away. "You have to tell me what happened."

Kitera gave a slow nod, then her gaze fell on Kili. "Seems like you've got some telling of your own to do. I'll find us a better place to talk, follow me."

She took them inside to the dining hall, a high-ceilinged room with chandeliers, marble floors, and ornate alcoves with godly sculptures and paintings. Servants were hard at work piling up blankets and sheets on tables, and stacking wheeled trays with bandages.

"This will be our infirmary," Kitera informed as the three of them sat in a quiet corner.

Noah smiled when he recognized the young woman supervising the preparations. But for now he focused on Kitera – there would always be time to talk to Ambry later.

"So, Kitera, this is Kili—"

"I know," Kitera said. "Dharkan told me."

"Oh, right. Wait, Dharkan's here?" Noah asked.

"Yeah." Kitera crossed her arms on the table. "When he first got here, he wasn't himself. He was being controlled by this . . . evil demon. It's complicated. Anyway, it was a mess. He barged in and interrupted Bryani's play, strangled two of my guards, nearly hurt Moira too, and the worst thing is, the whole time I was being controlled too. I had a knife to my throat and—"

"Wait" – Noah leaned forward – "so Jaden couldn't do anything, because if he did, you'd slit your own throat?" Next to him, Kili had taken off her cloak, and now she sat very still and silent.

Kitera frowned. "How do you know that?"

Noah exchanged a troubled glance with Kili. "Because I saw it. I thought it was just a nightmare."

"Okay . . . that's weird," Kitera said.

"Very," he said. "So, what happened after that?"

She leaned back in her chair. "Jaden got the situation under control somehow. But then, well." She sighed, and reached up to grasp the top of her uniform sleeve, sliding it down her arm. She twisted to show him her shoulder blade. Her hawk tattoo was gone, and from the bereft look in her eyes as she pulled up her sleeve, he figured Red wasn't just delivering a message.

"Hey, what's going on?" he asked quietly. "What happened?"

She crossed her arms again and kept her gaze lowered. "Red is dead. Jaden broke our bond so we could kill him. Xephos too."

"That doesn't make any sense," Noah said. "That bond can't be broken."

Kitera glared at him. "Clearly it can, Noah. Look" – she sighed again – "Dharkan told me you found the catalyst, and it's missing a sliver, right? Well, Jaden has it."

Noah fell back in his chair. "Oh, wow."

"Yeah," said Kitera.

"I . . . I think I saw Jaden healing Sofi," Noah whispered.