Chapter 34

Leia stared at Dender, incredulous and admittedly impressed at his skills of entering her apartment without triggering any alarms.

"General." She greeted stiffly. "It's a bit late for a meeting, don't you think? And where's my aid?"

Dender chuckled. "I dismissed her early. And as for the time, I'll agree that it's a little later than usual. But I just heard word that you were out and about and wanted to see how the investigation went." His tone was ice cold, leading Leia to believe that he already knew she'd exposed him.

She frowned. "And aren't you supposed to be leading a mission above Yolau?"

"We won the airborne battle." Dender explained, standing up. "Now all that's left is to deploy the ground team, and the leader of that group is your husband. I'm no longer needed there."

"Good." Leia decided to dispose of all pleasantries. "But you and I both know you're guilty. Just come clean and maybe we'll be merciful."

He frowned. "I've done nothing wrong. Trust me."

"Then why are you in my home at 3 am with my sleeping son inside as well?" Leia asked angrily, crossing her arms. "This counts as an offense, which you should already know."

"I apologize Chancellor, but I need to talk to you." His frown increased. "Please. It's important."

"And something that couldn't wait until working hours?" She asked disbelievingly, nevertheless she sighed and ushered Dender into the living room. He sat down, and Leia could sense flickers of nerves buzzing around him like an angry pack of bees. Something wasn't right here.

It's because he's guilty. Leia told herself, but that didn't seem right. Why would he seek her out? Why wouldn't he run?

To throw you off. She continued to try to convince herself, but she wasn't buying it. She sighed and sat down across from him, raising a brow. "I'm waiting."

Dender sighed. "I need your help, Chancellor. I've been framed. And based on your accusation earlier, I'm guessing you already know what for."

"And why should I believe you when I have evidence?" Leia asked, subtly grabbing her comm underneath the table and pressing the contact button for Rezka. He needed to know what was happening, and hopefully he'd get help.

A panicked look crossed Denver's face. "What evidence could you possibly have?"

Leia pulled out the hologram image of Dender. "We found this when we identified the hooded image meeting with Yula Gerrymano."

Dender shook his head. "That's... That's not possible."

"And yet here it is." Leia replied cooly, putting the image back away. "Hard, concrete evidence against you. And you're telling me I'm supposed to believe you when all I have is your word?"

"I..." Dender swallowed hard. "Chancellor, please trust me. I promise on my life that I didn't do this."

"Do what?"

"This." He gestured to where the hologram lay deactivated on the table. "I've always been loyal to the New Republic, you know that."

"I can't deny hard facts, Dender." Leia stood up and sighed, hearing the comm beep subtly which meant Rezka had registered her call for help and was on his way. "Do you have anything else other than your word to back your story up?"

"Not yet, but just give me time. Please." He begged, standing up as well. "I'll have evidence of my story."

"Evidence better than your hologram image being identified at the scene of the meeting?"