Chapter 30

The Old Tavern definitely wasn't the best bar that the New Republic had to offer on Alonia, but Leia figured that was the point. Its shady backdrop allowed for anyone to blend in, even a murderer, or at least that was what she hoped.

"Follow my lead." She instructed Rezka and, without waiting to hear his response, walked into the bar calmly. Her senses were immediately overloaded with music and flashing lights but after a few seconds she managed to reel them in and find the bartender. Luckily for her it was the same one that was working the night that Gerrymano met with her employer, and she approached him and slid a few credits on the table.

"Two shots of the finest."

The bartender shot her a look of both amusement and hesitancy. "You sure a little lady like you could stomach that?"

Leia raised a brow. "Give it to me and we'll find out."

After a few seconds the bartender chuckled and dropped a bottle on the counter before grabbing two shot glasses. Leia and Rezka sat down at the bar, and Leia inconspicuously looked around for any sketchy characters she might recognize from Yula's memories.

Deciding there was no one here who could benefit her investigation besides the bartender, Leia decided to strike up a conversation. "So, lotta shady people down here?"

"Oh, you know it honey." He flashed her a grin. "Why? You tryna escape someone?"

Leia smirked. "Only my troubles; hurry up with those shots, will you?"

He chuckled and slid one down to Rezka and the other to her, and Leia downed it immediately and put the glass down, not even wincing. The bartender raised his brows, and so did Rezka.

She noticed and gave them both glares. "What, a girl can't drink?"

The bartender gave out a loud laugh. "This one certainly can!"

Leia smirked as the bartender slid her another one with a wink. "That one's on the house; give yourself head start in front of your troubles."

Leia raised the glass to him with a smile as he went to go greet other patrons. But once he was out of eyesight she turned to Rezka, her smile gone. "He's the one that was here the night Yula met her employer."

"How do you expect him to crack?" Rezka asked in a lowered voice, and Leia looked around. The bar music was too loud for anyone to hear a blaster shot which concerned her, but at the same time the busy crowd would make for a good place to disappear for a bit. As a matter of fact, that was probably the point.

"I have an idea." She responded simply, a plan forming in her mind. Rezka raised a brow at that and downed his shot, wincing slightly.

"What is it?" He asked in a slightly disgusted voice as he put the drink down. "Nothing too risky, I hope?"

"Just follow my lead." Leia ordered, and Rezka looked immediately displeased at the idea of her in danger but knew better than to argue with the Chancellor.

He tried anyways. "You do know you're a Chancellor, do you not? This isn't normally a Chancellor's line of work, running around trying to catch a criminal."

"No, it isn't." Leia admitted. "But you forget that I was a general not too long ago, so I have much more expertise in this field than your average chancellor. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a bartender to interrogate."

Rezka just shook his head and followed her, and both made sure to make it appear that they were simply in proximity of the bartender and not seeking him out. Leia cast a glance in the bartender's direction and then looked back at Rezka.