28. Reset

Beware the greatest treasure never found

An epic item that suffers neglect

Will be cursed with soul consuming hunger

An end faster than a broken contract

For anyone attempting to claim it

Unless attunement is carefully done

Better to leave alone that diamond crown

—Russo Minark

Ishkur falls into numbing water. Rangers survive. Shivering, he climbs back up, chisels more, and falls again. By making our own way.

It is slower than the other wall, even though it has a bit of a slope; the slime forces him to cut every hold deeper.

After hours carving dozens of handholds, he reaches the top, shaking more from the strain than the cold.

Ishkur pokes and pinches the basement's lip with bleeding fingertips missing nails. Strength. Arms.

Emerald with power, he clambers into the nook. The wood panels, separating titan ruins from tavern, are still missing.

Lantern light? A man curses while a woman whimpers, and broom bristles smash into Ishkur's face.

Still glowing, he yanks the broom out of the tavernkeep's hands, and Mr Basin stumbles against him.

"Get off!" Ishkur shoulders past the portly man as his power fades.

Mr Basin backs into the cramped space. "Away, elf mutt!"

Ishkur rubs his eyes, taking a step towards him. "Hey, be careful—"

The man smacks his shiny head on the slanted pillar and slips backwards, screaming as he slides down.

"Merridian's mercy," Ishkur says, before a distant splash. Do I have to save that fat bumpkin? He wiggles his bare toes. I did leave my boots.

"Ish-Ishkur?" Kimona is on the floor by the lamp. "I'm sorry."

"Your father fell down the hole." He explores her bruised and bloody face. "Did he do this to you?"

"Is Daddy okay?"

Ishkur tilts his head. "I think I can hear him calling out. Can he swim?"

She winces. "I don't know. Will you help him?"

Ishkur pokes stone where his blood drips and presses raw fingers together. Face. He places his palm on her discolored cheeks and eyes. Heal. Wisps of green repair her marred beauty.

"Sorry." He shuts his eyes, until his head pain eases. "I've nothing to fix your dignity but advice."

"Thank you, Lord."

I'm no demigod. Ishkur clenches his fist. "I won't help your father. I'm feeling rather... empty." He shrugs. "You shouldn't either."

She coughs, hugging her chest. "Hurts to breathe."

Ishkur opens her blouse, and she flinches as he presses her ribs. "Did he hit you here?"

"Kicked me." Kimona points to the stairs up. "Hoyne's at the bar, and Jorkin just left. My father wanted to impress them." She sniffles. "He kept kicking until they stopped him, and then he spit on me."

"I am so sorry." Could she escape with me? "This shouldn't have happened."

"No." She grabs his arm. "I betrayed you. I told Daddy about this hidden space. I... I was angry that you didn't save me. I thought you cowered while he hurt me, but you were too far down that hole, right? You couldn't hear me calling?"