Chapter One (part 2)--Not sure I want the answer

Start from the beginning

Otis and his damn wedding announcements.

"I don't have to guess." I hung my head. "I got one too. Nothing like being invited to your own wedding."

I silently wished Otis' recovery from his last encounter with me left him picking splinters from his wounds for the rest of his miserable life. "I'm still shocked Otis would ever want to see me again after what we did to his leg."

"It must have been bad. He's even assigned the seating for the ceremony. I have a front-row view, right next to him."

"Well, if you count the fire-bolt I hit him with, I'm guessing by the size of the wound and surrounding burns, it will likely take him a few weeks to heal. But I'm sure he's still a little pissed about the injuries from the seed I slammed into his burnt flesh." I cringed recalling Otis' screams and the guards trying to hack him free of the vines. "Especially since Robin encouraged it to spring into life."

"Plant boy? And to think I didn't like him when I first met him. He grows on you, doesn't he?" Kellan laughed and placed his hand on mine giving it a squeeze.

"When we left Otis in the dungeon, he was rooted to the floor with vines spouting from his leg." I kicked a spray of water into the air.

Kellan turned my hand over in his and the tiny droplets I'd launched glided through the air into my open palm reforming into a sphere.

I watched the baseball size globe spin in my hand, glittering in the sunlight. "I can't help thinking, receiving those red envelopes wasn't meant to be a celebratory occasion."

"I hardly call being dragged from my room semi-conscious, and dumped in a cell a reason to celebrate," he said not taking his sight from my palm.

I yanked my hand away, and the watery spectacle burst over my leg soaking the scarf. "You've been locked in a cell?"

"Being here is a pleasant reprieve from my current accommodations

"Being here is a pleasant reprieve from my current accommodations." He stood up and plucked a pear-shaped fruit from a low hanging branch. "Food, water and you? This place is magical." Purple juice dripped from his chin as he took a bite.

"Even Cinderella only had to midnight, so don't count on staying here forever." I got to my feet and wiped the juice from his lips with my fingertips.

"What did you do to get yourself locked in a cell?"

"I thought that part was obvious." He smiled and kissed my nose. "I fell in love with you."

My heart warmed when I heard he still loved me. "People don't get thrown in prison for falling in love."

He tossed the fruit pit into a nearby bush, wiped his sticky hands on his trunks and tangled his fingers in my hair. When I took a step backward, he wrapped an arm around my waist and tugged me forward, pressing his skin against mine.

His closeness made me dizzy, fogging my thoughts. God, he's hot. I ran my hand over his muscular chest. The watery sweep etched across his shoulder in inky teals and blues, washed under my fingers splashing my hand.