Chapter 3: That Was Close

Keith smiled and waved as the aliens rushed by, on his way with his team to some celebration on the newly rescued planet.

He had completely forgotten about the chases, one hadn't occurred in months. The others were still as protective as ever, never leaving Keith alone save when he went to his room. Even then, Pidge was monitoring with cameras.

Keith sat back in his chair, letting out a soft sigh. He saw Lance look at him from the corner of his eye, prompted by the sigh.

"I'm alright, Lance." Keith smiled up at him, noticing Lance's shoulders relax. He had been noticing and watching Lance a lot lately. The way his brows furrow when he's thinking, the slight purse of his lips when he's really deep in thought, the way his eyes light up when someone talks to him, the way his cocky personality is almost nonexistent when he's alone. How he cards his fingers through his hair, the small bits of stubble he occasionally forgets to shave. The way his muscles move under his almost too small shirt when he trains...

"Keith?" A voice cut into his thoughts, making him jerk to attention. Shiro.

"Yeah?" Keith asked, looking up at the leader, glaring at the smug look on his face.

"Let's focus on the aliens, Mr. Half Alien." Lance chuckled, shooting a wink and some finger guns to a group of cheering aliens with high-pitched voices that only went higher in delight.

And of course, Keith could not forget that. Lance's body language when he flirts, the way he's stuck in the 2009 mindset, thinking finger guns are actually cool.

"You know it's not cool when you do that, right?"

"Do what? This~?" Lance teased, shooting some finger guns down at Keith, winking.

Keith huffed and looked away, crossing his arms, biting his cheek. "Yes. That."

Pidge stifled a laugh, turning her focus back to the alien crowd that passed by their float in the parade, waving.

Keith stood up again, holding onto the rail of the float, smiling and waving as well. He locked eyes with a hooded figure, freezing in place. Maybe they're with the Blade? He shook his head, turning his focus back to the parade.

He couldn't even have fun in a parade.

-----

The team regrouped in a dinning hall, all dressed in their paladin armor, their lions sitting outside. They'd just given a wonderful performance for the planet, Coran and Lance's idea.

Keith smiled, sitting in the chair marked with his color, sitting in the guests of honor section. He watched the others sit down as well, the room going quiet when the Queen stood to speak.

"Evols, thank you all for attending our feast tonight, in Voltron's honor!" She raised a glass, all the aliens doing the same. They looked humanoid, though they had 3 fingers, and webs between them. 90% of their planet was covered in deep oceans, so they lived both on land and in the water. The queen had long and colorful fins hanging from her arms, as well as brightly colored hair to compliment her light lavender body.

Keith looked over to see Lance smiling at her, surprisingly not showcasing his "love struck" and "flirty" face. Keith pursed his lips, frowning at the blue paladin. Was he feeling okay?

He reached over, lightly touching his fingertips to Lance's warm palm, leaning in. "You alright?" He asked at a whisper.

Lance looked down at their hands, smiling fondly. "Yeah, I'm good. Just hungry."

The Queen finished her speech, which seemed to be a signal, because the food started flowing in, and it never stopped. Keith drank the sweet champagne that was provided, not feeling the buzz he'd get from earth alcohol. After a few drinks, he started to feel drowsy, leaning his head on one hand, trying to push more food into his mouth.

He dropped the fork, swearing under his breath as he sluggishly stood up, his head swimming. "I'm not feeling too good... I'm gonna go to Red..." He mumbled to them, gripping the edge of his chair.

Pidge got up to help him, but Lance beat her to it. He already had an arm around Keith's waist, holding him steady. "I'll take him."

-----
AN: So sorry for no updates! School is killing me.