Chapter 19

It took only half an hour of stealthy sprinting before the house was in view, a giant mansion that looked a dull indigo as the sun was behind the clouds, casting a greying affect over the lands.

Quick as lightning Nix and I ascended the ladder in a nearby cottage house, scaling the rest of the wall and crouching low from the roofs, nimbly bounding across from roof to roof.

Beneath us I noticed a conversation, Nix reacted faster and lay a hand in front of me, holding me back so we weren't spotted.

Dropping to the ground I listened in, peering over slightly.

There was Rodrigues, chatting to a man beside him in hushed voices, suspiciously looking around.

"I did a little research, the guy beside him is Benedict." Nix hushed under his breath, his eyes piercing the group like eagles.

With a jolt I realised how close Nix and I were, easily brushing shoulders.

Acting inconspicuous I pretended to get comfortable, edging closer to him.

"Yes yes. Keep your eyes open, I've heard there are spies lurking about." Rodrigues stated, still frantically eyeing the streets.

I turned to Nix, already looking troubled, already understanding what I realised: He knows.

I turned back to the conversation, Benedict started to speak, "How do you know this?"

"We sent a spy to their Guild not to long ago, Aci successfully infiltrated the Court, hearing their conversations and plans." Rodrigues gave a smile of malice, he was quite plump, bald with only a short beard to keep his face warm, elegant green robes were wrapped around him. Benedict was styled into a suit, his dark brown hair brushed back, looking like a butler.

"Aci got into the Court? Impressive." Muttered Benedict, a fox smile placed on his elegant features.

"Oh no. Not quite. Aci isn't in the Court directly, she just hears everything going on. But finding out information about that Assassin has proven to be quite hard, clearly the girl hasn't let her guard down." Rodrigues babbled, casually stroking his beard.

"Neither Benedict nor Rodrigues can really keep their mouth shut, or keep control of their curiosity." Nix mumbled in my ear, his warm breath tickling my neck.

"Indeed." I smiled, too bad for them, unable to keep their 'victory' quiet. Already they told us some big things. There is a spy called Aci, never heard of that name before, they aren't in the Court, but somehow able to spy on the Court... And they are working for Rodrigues.

Not only that, but they knew who I was.

"Can I kill them now?" I demanded, Nix shrugged, basically motioning me to go ahead.

I handed him a throwing knife, "Let's see how good you're aim is." I smiled, flashing my teeth to him.

Half-smiling, as if in confusion whether to frown or to smirk he took a knife, together we fired. Each hitting our mark, knifes carefully imbedded in the necks of both Benedict and Rodrigues.

"Wait I have an idea, get me a pen and paper while I retrieve the knifes." I ordered Nix, who looked at me with confusion but didn't disobey. Within milliseconds I felt a slice of air whip past me as he bounded off the roof, hastily looking to the left and right I dropped down, sprinting to where the knifes were, plucking them from the necks of both Rodrigues and Benedict.

Hesitating, I thought of another idea. Just a suspicion, quickly pulling up the sleeve or Rodrigues I sighed. No Mark was there.

Next was Benedict, rolling up the left sleeve I found an identical Mark put there, just like mine.

Breathing in deeply I shuffled the sleeve back, putting the knife in the holders of my weapons belt before climbing up to the slanted roof, waiting.

While I waited I carefully outlined each stone tile around me, not long after Nix was back, a pen and scrap paper in his hand. "Hope this is important." He mumbled.

I smiled, "Give me a knife." I demanded, Nix handed me a knife. Examining it I realised it wouldn't have been of much importance, and had it at the ready.

Carefully I scribbled a note on the paper, stringing it to the knife as I threw it, implanting itself in the scalp of Rodrigues.

"Let's go." I smiled, Nix nodded.

"I liked that knife," he pouted, changing the subject. "What did you say on the note?" He asked with a mild curiosity.

That was when my mouth twitched upwards, "'Leave the Assassins alone.'"

After coming back to the Guild we called a Court meeting, explaining everything that happened. As the conversation continued on I realised more people got edgy, finally Blade spoke up, "Rodrigues was actually on our side, however only I and a few other people knew. No matter, no matter. So there is a spy in our mists, someone not in the Guild but overhearing everything we say." Blade summed up, "Whisper. I want you to check the halls outside, place more guards around the Court. Midna, check the tunnels in the next Court meeting or around then. Maybe just any time, since Court meetings aren't known by many." Blade instructed, together Whisper and I nodded.

"Blade. There is nobody called Aci in our Guild, nor has there ever been." Nix mumbled.

"It was obviously a code name. But code names have meanings, they are always linked to something about the person. Scar and Slash, I want you to try to figure this out. Find out every single detail about every single person in this Guild, save for the Court members." Blade demanded yet again, "Dia, stock up on money, go around town with your boyfriend and see if there are any rumours spreading, any useful information. I want answers to the growing questions." Blade impatiently said, his voice starting to get edgy.

"Report back your findings in two days." He finished off with a swift wave of the hand, clearly dismissing us and allowing him to think alone.

Usually he gets like this when a puzzle needs solving, he paces and thinks constantly, never getting distracted.

In sync we got up, Nix already at my side, "I'll walk you to your room." He muttered again, the usual time in his voice was gone, replaced by a hint of a morbid tone.

All I did was nod as he lead me away.