Chapter 14

The rest of the day was in a blur, I never really noticed myself.
The body was taken away to be examined, much news and rumours were spreading around the Guild. Some were even accusing 'Black Magic' as a likely excuse.
I scoffed when I heard that and walked away, especially from Nix. Whom I would have to be around tomorrow.
Brilliant...
I hardly bothered changing as I ripped off the dress and shoved on some nightgowns, I would need my strength tomorrow. Which would mean an early night, one without being plagued by vivid nightmares.

The hall in front of me was twisted around like a hurricane, the darkness surrounding the edges as the stone bricks lined the walls, the cold stone floors making my footsteps echo around the winding halls. I heard a faint scraping noise from the left. Instantly my hands were at my sides, my blades extended as I padded numbly down the turning pathway, nearing the constant scratch.
Out of the shadows loomed a figure, cloaked in darkness and scraping the wall down, bits of stone falling with little clunks.
The figure turned to me, it's face distorted and shadowed by the hood.
It ran, extending it's arms out to strangle me, I was paralysed as something kept flashing before my eyes.
The black marks surrounded the room, just as the strangers fingers wrapped around my neck the world went black.

I woke with a start, panting and clutching my hands to my chest, hair sticking and clamping on my neck and down my back from cold sweat, I could still feel the imaginary fingers caressing my neck...
I shivered, taking deep breaths as I rolled on my side and closed my eyes. Willing for the visions and dreams to go away.
Since I was little I always had nightmares, usually they were never big enough to wake me up or remember the next day. But this one felt so much more... Realistic.
It's as if I was there. At that time. In real life. Striding down those forgotten halls and finding that... Thing.
Whatever it was.
Whoever it was.
I shivered once more, pulling the blanket up further as if it was a magic shield, protecting me. I tried to go back to a time, a time when things were happiest. When Kel was alive... He was teaching me how to fight on a narrow pole.
First hand experience.
I let myself drift away into the memory; of how he never pushed me too hard past my breaking point, how he always taught me the best way to do things. How to balance on the beam, how to gracefully shift your weight and keep your stand. How to move around and knock them over, and when I almost fell off the pole, I remember how his arms were there to greet me before I was harmed.
His hands carefully guiding me to safety, wrapping myself around him. I was eight at the time. And I remember the desire and affection I had for him, feeling safe.
I barely registered the warm tear that streaked down my cheek before I drifted off.

The morning was terrible, I smelt like a pig and felt like a shaken mouse. After being bathed, robed and covered in makeup I went to breakfast, getting admiring glances from the guys and envious looks from the girls.
Wasn't my fault I was blessed with good looks.
I guess I had Scarlett to thank for helping my natural beauty shine...
Eh.
I strode along, restraining from pigging out as I remembered my bet with Nix. I'll show him... I'll show him I can act like a perfectly mannered lady.
With that rage fuelling me on I continued to eat slowly, savouring the taste of the meat.
I sipped the water up, dabbing my moist lips with a napkin gently before placing it down and taking my leave, risking a glance at Nix.
He was sitting with Jessica... Right up against her.
Their shoulders were definitely touching, and it took all the self restraint I had to not kill her. She cast me an envious look, smiling proudly as she motioned to Nix.
Basically begging to be beaten.
But Nix was looking at me with... I don't know. His face was purposely blank and hidden, trying not to convey any emotion.
I took it one ladylike step further, curtsying before going on my heels and striding out, not turning once even though I was acutely aware of his eyes on me as I left the room.

If was nearly time for the ball, I was suited in my bright blue dress laced with gold and filled in with white tips and matching my eyes perfectly.
The laced arms ended at my elbows, revealing the forearms. The skirt swiftly skidded across the ground slightly, I wore an anklet for fun, giving a mysterious jingle every now and then.
I stroke a few poses, being ridiculous when I noticed something.
In slow motion I turned my arm, twisting it almost to breaking point as I saw a carefully put black mark, staring at me deviously.
I gaped, staring at it.
Could it be I was the next victim?