chapter twelve

Gryffindor ended up winning, with Harry catching the snitch. Draco had gotten himself a position on the Slytherin team and didn't even seem too upset that his house had lost. The old Draco was very competitive, and normally made everyone around him know he was upset. Today though, he had flown past Harry and said a 'nice catch' in his ear before taking himself to the safety of the ground.

Harry rushed to get changed out of his quidditch uniform, in hopes of catching Draco as he headed back to the castle. Luck was in Harry's favour because as he left the Gryffindor tent he saw Draco walking up the grass, not too far away.

Wanting to catch up with the boy, Harry jogged lightly up behind him. As Draco went to open the door back into the castle, Harry caught it and pulled it open.

Draco looked pretty surprised at Harry's presence, and said a 'thank you' as he walked through the doorway.

"Hey, Draco. Good game." Harry said as he walked in behind Draco. The boy looked over his shoulder.

"Yeah, you too." He replied.

     "I actually wanted to talk to you about something."

     "And what's that?"

     Harry reached out and put an arm on Draco's shoulder. The boy stopped in his tracks, and looked at Harry with his soft grey eyes.

     "Walk with me?" Harry asked.

      "I thought that's what we were doing?"

     Harry quickly wiped his hand on his trousers, before holding it out for Draco to take. Hesitating for a brief moment, Draco decided to take Harry's hand.

     "Now, what do you wanna talk to me about?" Draco asked. Harry allowed himself to get used to Draco's cold skin touching his own before speaking.

     "Your tattoos. Is there some sort of meaning behind them? You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." Harry quickly said the last part, fearful that Draco would get upset with him for asking such a personal question.

     Draco inhaled sharply. "They're the flowers my mother used to grow in our backyard. They're supposed to represent her, and how the light can always outway the dark. I didn't want to look at that ugly mark anymore, so I got something beautiful to cover it." Draco explained. Harry didn't know if he should say anything, or stop walking and hug Draco so tightly that he never felt any negative emotion ever again.

     "I'm sorry all that happened to you, Draco." Harry said softly.

     "I don't want any pity, Potter. It was my fault for getting caught up in the wrong stuff. I just didn't want to disappoint my father."

     Harry realized in that moment that the same Draco he grew up knowing stood before him. It wasn't evil Draco, but strong draco. This Draco with the blue hair and tattoo covered arm wasn't weak, and scared, like so many people assumed him
to be. He was strong, and had overcome the darkest hour of his life.

____________

I'm a strong believer that Draco deserved much better, and that he did overcome everything he went through. One reason I wrote this chapter like this is to show that not everyone was born evil, and Draco kinda saved himself.