chapter five

Harry sat at the Gryffindor table with a plate full of bacon and eggs in front of him as he listening to the conversations around him. He was sitting between Hermione and Neville Longbottom, both having different conversations with the people around them.

     Today was the first day of classes at Hogwarts and Harry, as usual, wasn't thrilled. He'd never been a big fan of school, ever since the Dursleys sent him away to a muggle school when he was a young boy. Harry thinks he would've enjoyed Hogwarts alot more if he wasn't trying to escape death every year, but now that the Dark Lord was gone, Harry couldn't help but wonder what would bring the excitement this year.

     Breakfast was over and Harry started making his way to his first class of the day and term, along with his fellow seventh year Gryffindors. Ginny Weasley was a seventh year, and Harry thought it was rather odd that he was learning with her. He couldn't imagine how Ron must feel, being in the same year as his younger sister.

     Harry's first class of the day was potions. Horace Slughorn was still the professor since he was the only that would come back—or was able to come back.

     Large cauldrons were set out on each desk, all of them surrounded by a few ingredients. Normally the students had to fetch their own supplies, but Slughorn was feeling rather nice on their first day back.

     As Harry got settled at a random station, the potions classroom door opened. Harry couldn't see who was walking in since he had his back to the door. But when he turned around, the boy came face to face with Draco Malfoy and the rest of the seventh year Slytherins.

     Harry quickly turned around, not wanting to face any of them. He was still shocked that Malfoy of all people had returned to Hogwarts, considering how much he hated it when he was forced to go. But here he was, platinum blonde hair and all, standing a couple cauldrons down from Harry.

     Once everyone was settled, Professor Slughorn began his instructions. He told the class they'd be jumping right into complex potions, since everyone had already learned the basics before the war.

     Harry watched as Slughorn wrote the instructions for a potion on his chalkboard; it was called amortentia. Harry was somewhat familiar with this potion but forgot some things about it. He noticed that almost everyone had started brewing their potion, so Harry also started.

     Once everyone was done brewing their amortentia potion—which had been classified as a love potion—Slughorn began walking around the room. His face occasionally twitched as he looked at everyone's potion. The thing about amortentia was it takes the scent of whatever the person who's smelling it is attracted to.

     Professor Slughorn would occasionally ask students what their potion smells like to them. Hermione's had been freshly mowed grass, and spearmint toothpaste. Slughorn walked over to Draco, asking him what his potion smelt like. The boy closed his eyes as he inhaled deeply, before replying.

     "Broom wax, chocolate, and..." Draco trailed off, mumbling the last one.

     "I'm sorry Draco, I didn't catch that. What'd you say?" Slughorn asked, loud enough for the whole class to hear.

     "Burning logs." Draco repeated, still barely audible. Slughorn and Harry had both heard him though, along with a few other students that were nearby. Professor Slughorn nodded before walking away, and Draco glanced over at Harry to find that the dark haired boy was staring right back at him.

 Professor Slughorn nodded before walking away, and Draco glanced over at Harry to find that the dark haired boy was staring right back at him