chapter eleven

Harry groaned softly under his blankets as he stretched, then peeled his eyelids open. Harry sat up in his bed and looked around the room with his green eyes. The sun was only just starting to rise in the sky, and Harry's roommates were still asleep.

There was a quidditch game this morning; Slytherin versus Gryffindor. It was the first game of the season, and Harry was unusually nervous. He was a good quidditch player, but has had many bad experiences out on the pitch. This was also his first game as captain. Everyone would be counting on him to lead the team to a victory. Harry didn't like the idea of that, because he's been figuratively carrying people around on his shoulders for his whole life. The boy didn't mind being Gryffindor's captain, but he didn't want to be responsible for losing a game.

Shaking his head, Harry reached over and grabbed his glasses off the nightstand. He pulled open the drawer, just to make sure the Marauders Map was still safely tucked inside from when Harry last used it a few nights ago.

Harry shoved his black frame glasses on his face, and swung his legs over the edge of his bed. His feet collided with the cold flooring, and allowed his skin to get used to the temperature change before standing up and walking over to Ron's bed.

"Ron, we've got quidditch today." Harry said as he attempted to shake his best friend away. Ron grumbled something under his breath before rolling over. Harry sighed heavily, and pulled the blankets off of Ron.

"Bloody hell! Harry, what are you doing?" Ron exclaimed as the cold air of the common room slapped every inch of bare skin it could find. Goosebumps started to rise on Ron's arms.

"You need to get up! We have a game today." Harry told him, kind of harshly.

"That's all you had to say." Ron mumbled before getting out of bed, and lazily walking to his trunk to start getting dressed.

The red head was too tired to notice that Harry was also getting changed across the room. Soon, both the boys were ready to go.

"Hermione's gonna be mad at us for taking so long." Harry stated as he dragged Ron out of the Gryffindor common room.

"That girl needs to learn how to sleep in a little bit."

"Yeah, maybe you can give her some tips." Harry complained, referring to how his best friend is always sleeping in.

"What's your rush, anyway?" Ron asked, still being dragged by the boy with permanently messy hair.

"Nothing. I'm just...hungry." Harry replied. The truth is, Harry really wanted to see Draco before the game. He knew that the boy would be in the great hall, because he's always been an early riser.

Harry and Ron were silent for the rest of the trip, and eventually made it to the great hall. Harry finally let go of Ron's robe sleeve, so he took this opportunity to cut in front of Harry and walk away from him.

As Ron was walking, Harry scanned the great hall for the slender boy with frosty coloured hair. Harry spotted him eating a piece of toast, and smiled widely. In his staring, Harry accidentally ran into the back of Ron. The boy looked over his shoulder to glare at Harry, who mumbled an apology.

Ron walked the short distance around the table. "I don't know what's gotten into this one." He said to Hermione as he sat down across from her. Harry took the empty seat beside Hermione, and refocused his gaze onto Draco.

"What's wrong with him? Harry, who are you staring at?" Hermione asked. Harry tore his gaze away, knowing Hermione would soon figure out exactly who he was looking at. She raised one eyebrow at him, before turning back to Ron. "Are you ready for the game today?" She asked, attempting to change the subject. To Harry's relief, Ron went along with it.

"Yes, I am. I got a good night's sleep and am ready for today." Ron replied. Harry stiffled a laugh, but Hermione ignored it.

"Wow, you actually listened to me for once. Harry, what about you?" Hermione turned to look at Harry again.

"Yes, 'Mione. I'm ready for the game." He said simply.

"Good."

As Ron and Hermione continued to talk, Harry glanced back over to Draco. This time, the boy was staring right back at him. He raised one eyebrow at Harry before breaking out in a grin, and Harry smiled back.

 He raised one eyebrow at Harry before breaking out in a grin, and Harry smiled back