Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

Damien broke down the doors, a commotion of flying bodies and swords swirling behind him. I watched perplexed.

This was a new one.

He began to walk towards me when someone stopped him, grabbing his hand. Damien's violet eyes never left mine as a dark tendril started to coil around the man and flung him away letting Damien go.

I held his gaze as he walked to me, his boots reindeer's as he neared. I watched as a smile began to hint on his perfect lips. He was dressed in battle gear, the leather and armor clinging to him like night.

His smile spread wider as he stepped closer. He grabbed me and hugged me tightly, too tight to breathe. He breathed me in then stepped back. His hand ran through my hair, his eyes scanned mine then over all of me, his eyes watching me over as if he was making sure it was really me.

I was frozen throughout.

I knew what happened next.

His lips gently brushed my brow. "I'm sorry I took so long."

I didn't move. "That would be something he'd say."

He pulled back and frowned, his fingers still in my hair. "Em, I'm here to take you home."

I shook my head. "No. You're not really here. And at any moment you're going to die."

"Gods," his eyes scanned my eyes, my cheeks then my skinny arms. "What has he done to you?"

I laughed. Gods. He'd say that all the time. "That is something else he'd say." He'd done such a good job of making him real in my dreams.

He grabbed my shoulders and shook me. "Em, it's really me. It's Damien. I'm here to take you home. But we need to leave the mansion in order to do that. Will you walk with me?"

I shook my head. "No. I can't leave. If I leave, you'll die again."

He growled, his temper was flaring. Electricity filled the air.

He looked kind of cute.

"We need to go, love, and I'm unable to move you by force because of the wards. I can prove it's me." He paused for a moment, thinking. "I'm in love with you."

I nodded. "Yes. Robyn knows that. He's been in my head."

He growled. "The first time I showed you magic it was a coin behind your ear."

I smiled. "Robyn knows that too."

He touched my cheek gently, "The night we started your plan to meet Leah at the bookstore, you were crawling all around the floor of the coffee shop to make sure she wouldn't see you. My heart melted when I saw your little head pop up from behind the counter. I was ready to abandon the plans right then and there."

I frowned. "But you're married now ... "

He leaned closer. "After the bookstore closes and you're doing a closing shift you put on your headphones and dance as you put things away." He laughed. "You look like Elaine when you dance."

Something snapped through the haze. "Is that an insult? Cause I'm pretty sure I'm a good dancer."

He smiled in relief and I smiled too. My heart gave a jolt as we watched each other, as his eyes melted.

"There you are," he murmured as he ran a loving hand through my hair. I took his hand and leaned my cheek against the other relishing in the soft touch of his hands.

He suddenly moved, picking me up by my middle and hoisting me over his shoulder.

I laughed and snorted as he carried me over his shoulder. "Well, this is new."