Chapter 1

~ 7 months earlier~

"What are you doing with your life?"

"I'm going to college."

"Yeah, but don't you ever do anything else besides keep your head behind a book?"

"Umm...no."

"You're in college! And this is what you do?"

"That is what college is for."

"No, you have to let loose a little, have fun."

--------------------------

My best friend's words kept replaying in my head during the drive to nearby club. Jess was sitting in the driver's seat silently tapping her fingers against the steering wheel to the music that was coming from the radio. While I was here over thinking every possible scenario that could go wrong, she was calm. How could she be so calm?

Shifting in my seat I began to feel even more uncomfortable in my outfit, the tight fabric on me felt too tight and I didn't like the way it was too short for my taste. Looking back at Jess, I observed what she was wearing. A similar slim dress but much shorter and her cleavage was way more exposed than mine.

Christ, how was I best friends with this girl? 'Well, you've been friends since freshman year and you basically know each other too well' my subconscious answered. I groaned and didn't realize Jess had caught my stare. She looked back at me and shot me a small smile.

"Don't be so nervous Bec, we're going to have a blast, just you wait and see." Jess gave me a comforting light squeeze on the shoulder before returning her hands to the steering wheel. Oh, Jess, if only you knew how nervous I actually was.

"I just hope this night doesn't end up as tragic as I fear." I bit my lip and looked out the window. It was already 10:30 so the sky was evidently dark. I remember begging Jess to just let me stay home like every other Saturday night in our shared apartment; just watching movies on netflix and eating buckets of ice cream, but no, my usual rant didn't work tonight.

Tonight she had to literally drag me out of the apartment and I wasn't to keen on that yet here I was mentally preparing my death.

"We're here." Jess spoke before turning to me and giving me an excited look. Snapping my thoughts away when she spoke, I intently focused my attention out the window. Sure enough, the big blazing signs and lights outside the building confirmed Jess' statement. We we're here and instead of a rush of excitement all I could muster out was fear and agitation.

Getting the courage, I stepped out of the car. I made sure to tug my dress further down, in hopes that it will reach at least just a little above my knees but it was no use. The dress was made to stay at mid thigh, and I hated it. I would have to remember that next time I think of borrowing one of Jess' dresses.

"C'mon, hurry up!" Jess, who was a couple steps ahead of me turned around and grabbed my arm as she pulled me towards her so I could walk at her pace.

"No need to dislocate my arm." I shrugged her hand off my arm before pulling my jacket closer to me. We we're now just in front of the club, and I stopped walking just to stare at the huge neon sign in front of me.

My palms felt sweaty, and I just wished I could walk back to the car and lock myself in there until the night was over. I was never the one to go out and have fun this way. I was perfectly fine under all the warm covers back home.

"Jess, Baby! Come on in." My head snapped back to the big bulky man dressed in a suit standing in front of the entrance. He was certainly intimidating with his height and the look he was giving at Jess made me uncomfortable. She seemed to not be alarmed by how he spoke to her as she lightly pressed her hand against his chest.