Chapter 1- Donald Duck Boots

Hey guys! Thank you so much for going out to read my book! This is my first one so I'll have to apologize for all the mistakes I am bound to make! I mean, no one is perfect, right? Please leave any suggestions you might have or ways that I could improve the story and continue it in the comments! I also might be a bit lazy in this first chapter because I had already typed out the whole 1st chapter only to have my laptop run out of power, which really sucked. Sorry on that front. I'll try to post a new chapter every few days to keep the story going. Again, thank you so much for deciding to read my book and I hope you enjoy it!

- Casey_Acousta1 <3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I felt the wind caress my face as I lay on the course but not yet brittle October grass. The small blades tickled my wiggling toes as I relaxed to the sound of tweeting birds and rustling leaves. This was my favorite thing to do. Everything was so peaceful and calm. It helped me push all of my worries away and stay floating on a fluffy cloud, lost in the emptiness of my mind.

"Avery Veronica Wilson! You better come back to the house this instant!" And... there goes the silence. The real reason why I went out here was that I wanted to escape from the girl calling for me. Anyway, I groaned and got up. Even though I was almost 50 feet away from the girl, I guess she still heard me because I got a sassy response.

"I hope you didn't just groan there! I worked my butt off getting the right supplies and dresses. It was not easy! So I better see you in your room or you won't hear the end of it!" I heard the sliding glass door bang as she went back inside.

I grinned, picked up my trusty red converse sneakers, and made my way towards the house. The girl who just yelled at me was my best friend, Vera Blackwood. We've been friends for as long as I could remember, squabbling constantly. She may look harmless and adorable with her big, brown doe eyes, straight, shoulder-length black hair, and 5' frame, but don't underestimate her. She has a horrendous attitude, and so do I, which is one of the reasons why we are such great friends.

Once I'm inside my house, I throw my boots off to the side and make my way up the stairs. A bunch of pictures of me and my mom was hanging up on the staircase wall. Each of us sported the happiest faces in each one, which made me smile. While my mom wasn't home very often, she was still a big part of my life. Especially since I never knew who my dad was.

My mom(or Maman, as I call her) told me that he died before I was born, and she never elaborated beyond that. So, even though I was curious about him, I decided to respect her privacy and not press for answers.

Each step made a creak on the hardwood floor that we never decided to fix. What can I say... even adults can be lazy! Anyway, when I open the white door to my room, I gaped at the sight of it. And it wasn't good.

"How much stuff did you bring?!" I screeched, taking in the monstrosity that was actually my room. Dresses, costumes, jewelry, Halloween decor, make-up, shoes and many, many other items were strewn all across my bedroom. You could barely see the turquoise bedspread through all of the poofs that the extravagant dresses provided and my desk was covered with eye shadows, lipsticks, foundations, mascara, and glitter. Lots and lots of glitter.

When I turned to her, Vera actually had the decency to look slightly embarrassed. "A lot."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The car jumped upwards from yet another pothole. How many of them were there? I wondered. The town really needed to fix them. The jarring bumps were becoming quite annoying after a long period of time and they could eventually be dangerous. I stopped my midnight blue car at a red light, waiting for it to turn green.