“Hey Jace,” Shane said as I came back outside. He noticed my expression and sighed. “What did that asshole do this time?”

                “I’m going home,” I said.

                “Man, come on. We can go to the park or something,” Shane said.

                “I’m going home,” I repeated.

                “Hey, mind giving me a ride home? I have to head out,” Rio said.

                I hesitated before sighing in annoyance and gesturing at my car. “Get in.”

                “Thanks man,” Rio said, getting in the passenger’s seat.               

                “I’ll text you later,” Shane said.

                “Yea,” I grumbled, getting in the car.

                I pulled out of the driveway. “Where do you live?” I asked Rio as I started driving.

                He told me his address and I started driving there. I plugged my phone into the speakers and let my music play.

                “Promises and memories that burn and stain my skin. My heart is hoping your eyelids are holding the secrets you keep within. Where were you when my world came down? I was ready to start a riot. And where were you when my match burnt out? I was scheming to start a fire.” The music filled the silence between me and Rio.

                “So Mitch really pissed you off, huh?” Rio asked.

                “I’d prefer it if you didn’t talk,” I said.

                “Well, too bad. I get where you’re coming from. I heard about what went on between you and Mitch. I heard it from Mitch and Shane. Shane made Mitch out to be the bad guy in all of it, but I think even he knew you had your faults. I’m not saying you were wrong, but I’m not saying Mitch was, either,” he said with a shrug.

                “I don’t need your input on my relationship. I just met you. You don’t know anything,” I said, keeping my eyes on the road.

                “Oh, I don’t?” He raised an eyebrow. “Did you know you’re missing a hoodie?”

                “What are you talking about?” I asked in confusion as I pulled into his driveway.

                “Come inside,” he said, getting out of the car.

                I sighed in annoyance and got out of the car. I followed Rio up the driveway and into his house.

                “Hey Rio. Here are your glasses,” a woman who was clearly his mom said, holding a pair of glasses out to him.

                “These would have been wildly useful yesterday,” Rio said, taking them from her and putting them on. He definitely pulled off glasses, I’d give him that.

                “Hi there,” his mom said, noticing me.

                “This is Jace. He’s friends with Mitch’s brother,” Rio said.

                “Nice to meet you. Where is Mitch?” his mom asked curiously.

                “Probably bleeding to death in the bathroom.” Rio glanced at me. “I’m assuming you left him there to die?”