“Well Uriel,” I asked. “Who can be spared from the other tasks at this time?”

“Your tasks are proceeding well Remiel so you could stay as could Gabriel.”

“I can stay then I guess if you don't want to Gabriel.” I offered.

“I'll stay as well,” he replied. “I could use the break and I am curious to see how she progresses under Lucifer's tutelage. Besides, you being stuck here alone with the two of them might drive you mad.” A small grin crossed his face.

“I appreciate that, you're probably right. I guess that's it then. Just check in on us when you can brothers.” I hadn't really wanted to stay but I agreed with Gabriel, something was different between them this time and someone would be needed to sort things out.

“I'll inform you when your tasks need attention brothers. Until then.” Uriel shimmered and disappeared, the others did as well, leaving myself and Gabriel alone. I watched as his blue aura stirred restlessly.

“Alright, talk. You've been way too quiet on this. What's bothering you?” Cloudy grey eyes briefly locked with mine then he looked away and started to pace back and forth.

“I have had misgivings about this latest creation. There is no real purpose for it, I have not felt the connection with this creation as with the others. I don't think any of us have.”

The connection that he spoke of is hard to describe. Normally when we would create something we would get a message or a hunch from the universe. Sometimes it was an image of what the new creation was to look like or what niche in the balance it was to fill. The energy of the universe required something to maintain the balance and that is how it told us what to make. As far as I knew, none of us had received any messages about creating Lillith. The way Lucifer and Elohim had spoken of her when they were creating her, it was pretty obvious to us that they were doing this on their own. They had created her with no real guidance or idea of how to start. We would get at least an idea of how to start if there was something we were required to make.

“I know, I haven't either,” I said. “You have to admit though that this isn't the first time we've changed things without guidance.”

“That was changing things that already existed which is entirely different. We changed them to adjust to the balance. All things grow and change, even the balance. That ridiculous platypus or the other oddities we created by accident or small whim, they were not nearly as powerful or disruptive as this creation is. However odd they were, they still filled a need and were in balance. They do not compare to this.”

He had a point. “True, but I am not sure about what to do now. The two of them are incredibly stubborn. They can't destroy her, that is forbidden even to Elohim. Perhaps all we can do is minimize the disruption to the balance if needed. Don't let her reproduce.” Gabriel stopped his pacing and looked at me, sadness and apprehension written on his features.

“We all saw his face Remiel. Lucifer views her as something more. Denying it won't change that. We are all charged with keeping the balance, especially Elohim. Lucifer caring for a creation like this, it is not in balance. I feel it already, there is a storm gathering. Michael feels it too. We have to convince Lucifer of this.”

“Why are we focusing on Lucifer? Elohim is as much at fault for bringing her to life as Lucifer is.” It bothered me that a few of my brothers seemed eager to single out Lucifer for some sort of retribution.

“Elohim doesn't get attached. He would have created her and left her to her own devices,” Gabriel said.

“Are we all so sure that Elohim is angry about the balance of the universe and not about Lucifer wanting to treat her the way that perhaps she should be? Elohim doesn't like competition of any kind for anything, especially what he feels is his due. It was fairly obvious that he wanted to create some sort of servant, not an equal. I don't understand why he gave in to Lucifer on that point.”

“Yes you do. Elohim never denies the Morningstar anything. In the end Lucifer always gets his way. We all know who the most powerful of us is and it is not Elohim. Lucifer's power of persuasion controls the giver of life. Elohim has always overly admired and indulged our brother. That is why we are all focusing on Lucifer. Elohim is already angered and he never thinks when he is angry. If he were to talk to Lucifer all that would occur would be an argument and things would escalate. We must stop Lucifer from becoming more attached to this creation before it is too late.” His eyes hardened, apprehension changing into resolve.

Have you ever had a moment in your life where you know, just know there is precipice looming in front of you? You don't understand why your heart races and your palms sweat when considering a small conversation or meeting. Phrases such as “It's just temporary” or “Nothing is written in stone” or “I have a backup plan” or “He'll listen, of course he will” run through your mind in a futile attempt to calm yourself down. Deep down, in your heart of hearts, you hear that voice telling you that those things are all lies, that the situation has already escalated, the course irreversible. Then the dreaded question of “How did I get here?” slams into your mind. Gabriel's eyes had never looked like that, Michael's eyes had never held that much sadness before, both of them were already wondering how we had gotten to this moment. I was unsure as to what the moment held for the future but it was fairly obvious that sides were already being chosen. I paused, I had to choose my next words with care.

“We are equals Gabriel. We are brothers, family. We all bear the responsibility for our choices and creations, we cannot blame one of us above the others. They asked for our input, however ill-timed and manipulative the question was. None of you spoke up against it, you all turned to me. If you had had misgivings earlier, it rested upon you or Michael to raise them. I will talk to Lucifer but I will not blame him more than Elohim or any of the rest of us if things fall out of balance.”

Gabriel turned away from me, my heart dropped into that precipice I had sensed. “Perhaps you are right and the fault of this is on all of us. I will find Elohim and see if I can calm him. I wish you luck with Lucifer.” He took a step away from me and vanished. 

A sense of foreboding seemed to slowly fill the idyllic meadow I stood in, the shadows drew closer and the temperature cooled. For the entirety of my memories I had always felt the sense of my brothers in my mind, we were connected, all beings of the same energy. Yet as I stood there, trying to come up with the best way to discuss things with Lucifer a new sensation slowly filled me. I felt alone. I had never felt alone before. Sides were indeed being drawn. It seemed that the words I had just barely finished speaking had somehow damaged the bonds my brothers and I had shared for eternity. How had we gotten here?