9| Story time

"A guitar."

"A guitar?"

"Yes, I believe that's what I said Ellie."

"A guitar?! Why on earth did you think a guitar would be, I quote, 'The perfect gift'? I don't even know if he plays the guitar!" I thought back to the past week or so, "Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if he didn't even know what a guitar was," I added as an after thought. That guy breathed work, lived work, ate work.

"I don't know, but honestly, if he plays the guitar, I'm stealing him from you."

I rolled my eyes, Alice my friend had a new found obsession; boys who played guitars.

"Technically you would be stealing him from Vanessa not me," I mumbled stirring my coffee.

We both where sitting at a tucked in bakery shop, with a picture perfect scenery being overlooked by the balcony. The fact that it was almost always relatively empty definitely added to its beauty.

Alice and I go way back, she was my support system, the girl who held my back and saw me go through boy trouble, work trouble and especially family troubles, and lord knows how many of those I've had.

"So you really called me over here to discuss your husband's congratulatory gift?"

Husband.

The word sounded so foreign, and though I gladly wanted to lecture her on the use of that word, I didn't. Not because I didn't mind, I did, atleast that's what I told myself, but as a matter fact, Luke's congratulatory gift had very little to do with why I called Alice.

"There's something else." I sighed, how do I tell he-

"You like him don't you?!?! I knew it! I totally knew it! You're conflicted now, you don't-"

I clamped my hand over her mouth effectively shutting her up. I think I forgot to mention she was a dramatic.

"Let me talk," I said, and let go of my hold on her.

"So I saw Ian out with a girl yesterday."

"Oh," she said obviously confused why this was an emergency topic, "And...."

I didn't answer.

"Who's the girl?"

______________________________________________________

Vanessa was upset. Understandable. But the sudden extra affection and love, that, Luke didn't understand.

They had just had lunch with her family, something he would have strongly refused and found a way to back out of if it wasn't for the guilt on his ignorance of her during the past few days.

Do I tell, do I not tell?

Irrespective of the conversation that was going on, those seven words had been playing on repeat in his mind.

Today's not the best time, he decided, she already has a lot going on. What exactly he didn't remember but he had definitely heard the words 'stressed out' too many times during the conversation.

Of the very few things Vanessa and Luke shared in common, one was their family issues. The constant push they received. The constant pressure they felt.

Family.

That word bought him more tension than love and fondness.