Chapter Four

"Wake up!" El bounced onto my bed, jolting me out of my sleep.

"What?" I yawned.

"Hurry up and get changed." She half pulled me out of bed.

"Why?" I moaned, pulling the blanket back over my head.

"We're going out. Come on. Everyone else is waiting." She yanked the blacket away from me.

"Okay okay. I'm getting up." I sat up. "Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise." She yelled on her way out of the room. "Wear the yellow dress I left out for you!"

I looked over at my desk where she had put a yellow summer dress on the chair. I quickly changed and braided my hair. I ran downstairs to find everyone waiting outside. Eddie had my guitar on his back.

"Why have you got my guitar?" I asked.

"We're going out." He smiled.

"That's what El said." I muttered.

"Come one." El looped her arm into mine. We walked as a group to the recreation center to pick up some bikes.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Into town." She said. "We packed a picnic and all."

"Why?" I mounted one of the bikes.

"Do you have to ask so many questions?" Katerina sighed. "Just enjoy today."

I guess I do ask too many questions, but none of it's without reason. Everything that's been happening recently has made me slightly paranoid. We rode into town and stopped at a large park. We locked the bikes up and found a shady place to set up our picnic. They had actually done I really good job with the food.

"This feels so nice." El stretched out on the grass. "As nice as the campus is, I miss something that's normal."

"I know what you mean." Nicholas agreed. "School just doesn't seem like it's real."

"Did you guys all grow up with magic though?" I asked.

"Not at this scale." El closed her eyes. "This is intense. Even for people like us."

"Is that what this has turned into?" Penelope asked softly. "Us verses them."

"It would seem so." Eddie nodded. "But it's never been so bad before has it?"

"No." She shook her head. "The school is changing us."

"Hopefully for the better." El muttered. and rolled onto her stomach. "Play something Celine."

Eddie passed me the guitar and I set it in my lap. I tuned it then started to play some chords.

"Any suggestions?" I asked.

"Something cheerful." Katerina said.

I thought about it for a while then started to play "When I'm Gone".

"I wouldn't call that cheerful." She said.

"It was all I could think of that I can actually play." I laughed. "I've only been learning to play this for around a month."

"Fine," she chuckled, "we'll let you off this time."

"Only this time though." Nicholas added.

"I agree. I want happy cheerful music next time." El declared. She smiled. "Anyway I think now is a good time to start playing happy birthday."

I started to play it, being a simple song it wasn't hard. The others sang happy birthday to Penelope.

"How did you guys know?" She asked at the end.