Chapter Two

The next day in music, I got talked into joining the choir. Eddie and Nicholas were joining so they decided to guilt me into it. I never was the kind of person to join clubs, do extracurricular activities, let alone be part of the school choir. Seraphina was notably not in my music class today. She had turned up in every other class but not this one. Perhaps that was because of yesterday. Anyway, Professor Leahs put up a timetable for when we were going to be learning to play the piano with her. The lessons were thirty minutes each. Mine was on Friday's at four thirty. It turned out that the girl from the first day, Jessamine, was also part of the choir. I hadn't crossed paths with her since the first incident and I would have liked it to stay that way. It would be so easy if she wasn't around. Then maybe there wouldn't be anything I have to worry about here. I stopped myself. I'm not supposed to hate. I'm an angel. It shouldn't be possible. I learnt about that yesterday when we went through what made us angels. I thought about my childhood. Have I ever sinned? Yes. I have. I remember lying and stealing lollies from the cupboard at night. How is this possible? I played with the pin that was in my room this morning. I didn't recognise the symbol on it but it was clear that everyone else did. 

"What are you thinking about?" Eddie nudged me with his elbow.

"Uh, nothing." I shook my head. Another lie.

"You seemed really far away." He said, putting his pen down.

"I guess I kinda zoned out. I didn't get much sleep." I said. That at least was the truth.

"Homesick?" He asked.

I shrugged.

"Don't worry. It'll get better." He smiled. Eddie had this really nice smile. All his teeth were white and shiny and... perfect. The dimples made his whole face look beautiful. "What are you looking at?"

"Huh?" I said stupidly.

"You need more sleep." He shook his head.

"I know." I sighed and looked down at my book. I untied my braid and redid it absentmindedly. Maybe I should go see Seraphina. I'm not sure she'll understand though. The class ended and everyone started to move. 

"Lunch time!" Eddie exclaimed. "I'm starving."

"I don't see how you guys eat so much and are still hungry." I chuckled.

"I don't see how you girls can survive on so little." He teased.

"We're not pigs." I shrugged.

Jessamine walked past me and our shoulders brushed against each out lightly.

"Watch your step." She whispered. I shuddered. Something about that girl isn't right. 

"You okay?" Eddie asked.

"Yeah." I nodded. "I'm fine."

"Celine." Oh no. I turned around to see Seraphina. "Would you care to walk with me?"

"Umm... okay." I nodded. 

"See you later." Eddie said and ran into flight.

Seraphina and I walked away from most people.

"How are you finding it here so far?" She asked.

"I like it but I miss home." I said.

"That is to be expected for a while." She nodded thoughtfully. "Is anything else bothering you?"

"Umm... anything like what?" I asked.

"Anything at all." She said.

"Uh." I swallowed. Do I tell her?