Chapter Two: Outcast

I immediately thought about my ponytail as I reached up for it. That didn't feel right. I ran to the bathroom at a frantic pace. What I saw in the mirror was absolutely terrifying! My ponytail wasn't straight! It was all off to the side! It's been like this all day?! It honestly explained so much. I couldn't understand the fact that people were looking at me all day. I guess it was my stupid hair causing the attention. In a fit, I ripped the ponytail out.

Why are you so stupid Bayley?

I wanted to punch the mirror then and there. I was always one to release my anger through violence. If I was mad, I'd storm outside and squash bugs. One time, I was feeding a wild deer my peanut butter sandwich. All was fine until he decided to sneeze. I had mushed up bread and liquified peanut butter along with snot all over my face! Seconds later, I punched that antlers right off him! But then I quickly learned to choose my battles wisely. He kicked me pretty hard and knocked the wind right out of me. And for the past year, my mom keeps telling me my fists solve nothing.

Yeah right!

Are you telling me that punching someone in the face won't teach them a lesson? But Mom says that if she finds out I hit someone, I'm grounded and Dad will be giving me a lickin'. Last time Dad spanked me, I felt like puking and it hurt too much to walk.

I do not want to experience that again.

He's usually nice enough to watch a movie with me later on after the swelling goes down and my tears stopped. In the seventeen years of my life, he's spanked me five times. Let's just say I've learned my lesson by now. No hitting.

I looked at myself in the mirror and calmed down. I look fine now. Calmly, I walked out of the bathroom and back to my locker. I think I had everything I needed. Thankfully, I wasn't being bombarded with stares. I guess I didn't look stupid anymore. That girl with the purple hair was gone too. I guess I'll have to give her my thanks tomorrow. In the midst of my thoughts, I realized that I've taken quite a while to get out of the school. Dad is supposed to be waiting for me in the parking lot! Okay, no more distractions Bayley. I headed out the door and sure enough, Dad's car was sitting there.

"Hey Dad," I greeted getting into the car.

"Hello, how was your first day?"

I shrugged.

"Make any friends?"

I thought about the girl with purple hair. But I eventually just shrugged again. Dad nodded as I waited for him to drive out of here. To be honest, I didn't really want to talk about it. Not yet at least. Maybe once I get settled socially I'll talk. But for now, I got nothing worthy of sharing.

* * *

The second day hasn't been too bad so far. This time, I did my hair in a simple headband. No urgent ponytails.

Lesson learned.

I was chilling by my locker eating my lunch as I was thinking about how I could fit in. There had to be social groups right? People with similar interests that likes the same stuff I do right? But how do I find one?

As I ate my sandwich, I saw someone come flying out of the bathroom. A little blonde girl with red tips at the ends of her hair. Was that the same girl from foods class yesterday? Then I heard some strict voices.

"That'll teach you to smart mouth back to us!" a girl with a Boston accent stated.

"Yeah, next time it'll be worse!" the second girl claimed with an Australian accent.

The blonde girl was scooting backwards trying to get away. Was she soaked? I didn't know what to do. So I did what any person would do. I turned around and leaned the other way. I wanted no part in this. Subtly, I opened up my locker. In my mind, I was praying that when I closed it, everything would have disappeared. And sure enough, they were all gone from the scene when I closed my locker and turned around. No blonde girl in sight.

* * *

Foods Class was all the same. This time, we were given slips of paper to help the teacher pick our partners. I didn't know anyone nor have I really spoke to anyone. The blonde girl was not in class either. Whatever happened at lunch must of caused her to leave. But why was she wet though? Who were those two girls? I ended up not putting anything down on my slip and handed that in. I guess I could be paired with anybody.

Class ended with a bunch of safety tips and locations. I was so glad to be out of there. Until we're cooking, that class couldn't be more boring. Again, I didn't have any homework. With that, I was off to the parking lot to my dad. Along the way, I ran into the purple haired girl again. She had a genuine smile on her face and gave me a thumbs up. I guess my hair was good today.

Dad was in the same spot as yesterday in the parking lot. He gave me a wave through the window and I waved back with a forced toothless smile. As I got in, I immediately expected him to ask me how my day was.

"How was your day?"

See?

"Same as yesterday," I responded.

"Meh?" he asked.

I nodded.

"You know, it may help if you tried making some friends."

I never really thought about it. I've spent the past forty-eight hours worrying about myself that I never really talked to anyone. The thought began to bring tears into my eyes. I am an outcast. I have no friends. Dad put his hand on my shoulder and gave me a little shake.

"Don't cry now."

I really wished I could stop. It took every bit of strength to keep myself from full on crying. As another tear ran down my cheeks, I felt my dad patting my lap.

"You didn't cry when you were bit by a snake. You didn't cry when you fell out of that tree. You will not cry to something so small."

So small? No. He doesn't understand. I thought about that blonde girl. She seemed to be on her own. I realized I needed to make friends. People I can depend on to have my back. What if I become a victim to those two girls? If I'm not alone, I'm safe. Going alone is not an option.