Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Ellie looked around her prison; oh it was a nice prison, but a prison nonetheless. She had a bed, a desk and chair, and a well stocked bathroom. The man guarding her day to day was nice enough, he made sure she got fed and watered, and he got her bag, after checking she had no cell phone or laptop in there, and he dropped it at her feet.

"You need anything?" He asked

"To be let out." She quipped, knowing it was a useless request.

"I can't do that, the boss would kill me." The man said.

"Get another boss, you thought of going into something more lucrative like burger flipping."

The man grumbled and walked out of the room locking it as he did so.

As soon as he was gone Ellie looked through her bag to see if he had left anything useful.

"Nothing!" She sighed, she got her homework and out decided it was a good idea to at least get it done, maybe if she was lucky she'd live long enough to graduate high school.

She paced the room a few times, did some stretches and some pushups but nothing could get her to calm down, her instinct told her, this was going to be bad. She had met two of the 'goons' who had her, but not the boss. Whomever he was, but she had seen their faces, she'd watched enough procedural cop shows to know if you see their faces the outcome for the victim isn't good….and she loved cop shows.

She tried to look out of the boarded up window, but she couldn't see anything outside but scrub-land, so screaming was out, which was good in her opinion, coz she wasn't a weak girly girl.

She sat on the bed and took stock of her situation, She'd hated D.C as a child to her it was always too cold, she had longed for the sea and the waves, when she was small her mother had taken her to California to see her Grandfather, who was very old and kept looking at her like she was evil, she hadn't liked him at all, but she had loved the waves. Joining a summer program while her mom looked for work she had learnt to surf, it was, she felt in her blood. If she'd had her way she would have lived and breathed surfing. Her mother however told her it was frivolous and she should concentrate on her studies that fight was when she'd first heard about her father.

They had come back to Washington, D.C. as Uncle Ducky from NCIS was unwell, someone had hurt him and her mother had been asked to fill in for him at the navy yard. She hadn't wanted to come and had begged her mom to be allowed to return to California to enroll in the summer school that they had out there for the next month.

"NO!" Jordan yelled as Ellie stormed up the stairs at their brownstone.

"But mom, all my friends are there and it's surfing, there's nothing to do in DC in the summer!" she yelled back.

"There are parks, museums, cultural things you can see and do!" Jordan said trying to calm down, "You are not going all the way across country without me."

"But I'm old enough!"

"You are 12 years old!"

"Exactly, I'm not a baby!" She yelled her blue eyes flashing.

"You're being irresponsible." Jordan countered

"I just want to surf, MOM!" Ellie stormed.

Jordan huffed "You're just like your father, stubborn, willful and headstrong."

Ellie stopped; her mother had never mentioned her father.

"I am?" she looked her mother in the eye and looking at her Jordan could see a lot of Marty in her. "Why does he never come to see me, does he not like me?" she asked her anger dissipating as she sat on the stairs.