Chapter 36- Free

All of the members of Dumbledore's Army made a pact last night.

'Do what's Right' is our new slogan; encouraging the others to not bow down to those who torment us. Telling them that it is our right to have proper schooling and if we did not put up a brave front, we'd be put down worser than ever.

'And suffer the consequences later?' Seamus questioned, at which all of us burst out laughing.

'Why ''suffer'', Seamus? More like ''enjoy'' the consequences later' I said, which was followed by another outbreak of laughter. All of us DA lags knew what it was to ''enjoy the consequences.'' We had all been tortured atleast once- and we had scars to prove it. To lighten the mood of someone who had been tortured, we'd often sing them songs, or act like we were family. Infact, the Gryffindor Common Room also had a ''Crucio Chart'' which highlighted the number of times we had been tortured but ''yet survived, coming back stronger'' as Ernie put it.

Our antics were like the Early Morning Scoop of Hogwarts- a new message on the wall, or stories of standing up against the Scarecrows. I went along to the Hospital Wing everyday to visit whosoever was there- often the Scarecrows tortured mouthy kids so badly they needed a potion to put them into dreamless sleep. Neville and I stood up against Alecto and Amycus so frequently that we were guaranteed a torture curse almost everyday.

One day in Muggle Studies though, we were to know what our resistance would cost us.

'Muggle-borns are just as worse as Muggles. They've stolen, they've thieved their magic from wizards. They can pollute you with their false stories and claims! Don't let a Muggle-Born get away with their wrongdoing! They ought to be put into Azkaban or killed-'

'Oh yeah? How much Muggle-blood have you and your brother got then, huh?' Neville yelled, at which several Ravenclaws cringed, whereas the Gryffindors' faces shone with pride.

'Longbottom, keep your trap shut or face my wrath.'

'I face it everyday, you crazy woman! Trying to evade my question of how much Muggle-blood runs in your veins, huh? Should we cart you and your pathetic brother off to Azkaban then??'

I gasped so audibly that the whole class turned to look at me for a few seconds, before facing Neville and Alecto. 'Neville, no..' I moaned, under my breath. I knew he'd gone one step too far.

'Oh no, Longbottom..' Alecto hissed. 'You'll go to Azkaban before I do.' She whipped her wand the very same way she'd done weeks back, leaving a great big gash on Neville's cheek. Neville did not react at all, at which Alecto cackled- 'You think you can do what you want?'

Saying so, she raised her wand as if to shackle Neville with ropes, but Neville was quicker than her. He pulled his bag onto his shoulder, casting a Shield Charm between himself and her. He waved to us, emphatically, before rushing out of the classroom. Alecto shrieked in fury and set out after him and the whole class piled up near the door to see what was happening. Alecto came stomping back, breathing heavily. 'Yes, he'll be sent to Azkaban; the good-for-nothing idiot.' My anger surged.

'Oi! Don't you dare call him names!' I yelled; at which Alecto smirked and faced me. 'Ah yes, supporting him, are we? Crucio!'

I felt like the end of the world was near- that all my fears would come true and dying would be easier now. I fell to my knees, shaking and sobbing uncontrollably. Such severe recollections came to my mind that the pain just wracked me to death. Just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore, the pain stopped. As I looked up feebly to see who it was who'd stopped her, the bell rang. Alecto left, and several Ravenclaws came towards me, pulling me up and asking me if I was okay. It had been Michael Corner who'd stopped Alecto. I thanked him weakly, and rushed out of class. I had a job to do.

Find Neville before the Scarecrows did.

It had been three hours since I'd set out. I'd searched almost every floor, every passageway I knew. But Neville was nowhere to be seen. How would I send him the message that the Scarecrows were after his blood? Seamus helped too, but we gave up after some time. I dumped my bag wearily on the table, sinking into an armchair in the Common Room. What would happen now? Would I have to lose another friend to the clutches of evil? I pulled out a book to distract myself. Slowly, the room emptied as the others went to bed. I was determined not to fall asleep until Neville came.

'Y/N? Y/N??'

I woke up suddenly, the book I'd kept on my face, falling off as I panicked. 'Wassmatter? Whazzhappen-??' I stopped muttering incoherently when Neville's face swam into view. 'Neville!' I squealed, trying to look clearly at what Alecto had done to his face. 'Wait, Y/N, not now! Those Scarecrows are after me! I just risked it here to warn you, and get the others along too!'

'Wait, what?'

'Your parents are in the Order, right? You do realize that we're putting them in danger by doing what we're doing? They went for my gran-'

'What?' I yelped.

'Yes, but listen! She's alright. Our parents need to be on their toes from now on- and we have to stop doing what we are.'

'But..what? No way!'

'Of course we can't stop! So I figured it's time to go into hiding after all!'

'Where've you been all this time?'

'Room of Requirement, of course.' His eyes sparkled with glee.

'I need you all to come with me, right now. We need to go underground.'

I looked at him, stunned. He shrugged his shoulders and rushed towards the Boys Dorm. 'Tell the girls they can join us whenever they feel threatened! Send word to the others with the coin!'

I finally shook my lethargy off and bounded towards the Girls Dorm. I explained to Lavender and Parvati, all the while putting the message on my coin- so that the others from Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff would come too. I collected several of my belongings, finally running all out to the Common Room. Time was running by fast.

I caught up with the boys as we made our way steathily to the Room. Neville was already there, his eyes screwed up in concentration; as he walked back and forth on the same stretch of floor. Finally, a door appeared- at which Neville beckoned us all forwards and opened it. Seamus whooped in delight and pointed out several bunk-beds in the corner. Also there were several comfy armchairs and cushions. I sighed in relief and heaved my bag in. 'Hey Y/N!' Neville called. He'd caught a bed for me, a little away, but just the next one to his. I smiled and kicked my shoes off to sit down on the bed, facing him.

He grinned, making me break out into giggles. 'What?' he asked me, puzzled.

'Nothing, nothing..' I said, brushing my hair back. 'I'm so glad that we're all safe from them now.' 'You think?' Seamus said, joining us.

'Yeah, I pretty much closed all their options of getting in here.' Saying so, he elaborated to Seamus, the variations of his statement.

I just listened silently.

Freedom was sweet.