Chapter 9- A little history

'Mum, where's Dad?'

'Down by the river honey...what do you want?'

'Umm..just tell him that I'm borrowing Flick for sending a letter.'

'Whom to?'

'Err..a friend of mine, Mum.'

'It's okay, Y/N, you can tell ME which boy you're writing to.'

I felt my face redden.

'Mum, it's Ron.'

'You mean, the Weasley?'

'Yeah! Do you know him?'

'I know his mum! Molly and I were good friends- we were in the same year at Hogwarts! Oh what a surprise! Unfortunately I just don't understand Molly's obsession with Celestina Warbeck. And she doesn't get why I like magical beasts so much.'

I left my mum reminiscing about her past and went over to Flick's cage. My mum had spent almost half her life going around the world researching magical wild beasts. She used to say Newt Scamander inspired her on this journey. Indeed ironic, I thought, that her own daughter wasn't a big fan of the subject. And dad, jeez, I have no clue how he married my mum. The man's terrified of creatures- despite my mum's efforts to induct him in her world. My mum always says that they overtax him in the Ministry- with a Head of Department like Ludo Bagman, all the work pressure fell on poor dad. The story goes that he met up with mum in Florean Fortescue's shop in Diagon Alley; both of them had taken a break from work. And just when mum was rummaging around in her purse for non-existent money (money that she had pilfered on several foods for her pet creatures); dad who was next in line, offered to pay up for her.

They started talking (don't even ask me about what, those 2 are poles apart) and kept up a constant correspondence, even as mum travelled across the globe. When she finally came home, dad had their wedding all planned out. Apparently he did not want any creatures; lethal or not, to play a part in it.

The wedding ring he gave mum has the words 'Love the creatures too, but love me more'. I laugh everytime I read it. Trust my dad to be the funniest bloke in the vicinity. Dad kinda reminds me of Ron; what with cracking silly jokes all the time that keeps everyone in a good mood.

'Y/N??'

'Yeah Mum?'

'How come you didn't write to him before?'

'We met up at the Yule Ball mum. Hermione had us introduced.'

'Oh I love that girl Hermione. You have to invite her home someday, Y/N...'

'Okay, will write to her.'

I'd almost attached the heavy letter to Flick's leg when I heard heavy footfalls across the drawing room. Dad had come.

I leaned across to see what he had in his hand. The Daily Prophet, rolled up in one hand and a big long package in another.

He sat down at the table and propped up the Daily Prophet against the milk jug. 'Oh not again...why do they have to project the Potter Boy as some tragic lunatic? He's just a normal boy with a disturbed past- And here they keep taking digs at him. Look at this-Dumbledore's been demoted from so many important posts! I don't believe Fudge. I really don't..' said my dad, shaking his head sorrowfully.

'Y/N knows Harry, don't you?' my mum asked as I came out of the kitchen.

'Yeah, and he's not mental or whatever. He's loyal, funny, brave and just a great friend.'

'He truly belongs to Gryffindor' my dad proclaimed.

'I second that. How else could he've got through all those horrible tasks just in his fourth year? The poor lad always seems to be getting into some trouble.'

'Good lord..but if He-who-must-not-be-Named is back, I shudder to think of the state of the magical community in the coming years.'

My mum seemed to drink in dad's words.

'I'm behind Harry' mum and I said simultaneously.

'That's great. The boy deserves all the love he can get' said dad, finally diving behind the paper to read up on Quidditch news. He used to be a Chaser himself in his school years and often regretted that he didn't pursue his career forward, instead choosing to join the Ministry.

Flick hooted dolefully from the kitchen and I remembered that I'd left him in the lurch. 'Sorry Flickee' I said as I removed the letter from his leg and opened the scroll. I took my quill and added a P.S. ''Tell Harry that I and my family are behind him at all times. And that Cornelius Fudge will soon be eating his words, the corny idiot.'' I grinned when I read my whole letter- Ron would be laughing like hell. I'd put in some pointers for the holiday homework Snape had given and couldn't resist telling him about the string of Quidditch wins of my team (I play Chaser too!) in our local community tournament.

Flick finally flew off, bobbing a little in the wind (and perhaps because of the sheer weight of my letter!)

As I sat down next to dad at the breakfast table, I felt very queer. I wanted to hear back from Ron. I couldn't wait to see Pigwidgeon knocking on my window.