Chapter 20- The truth is out

'So you got promoted after all!'

'Not exactly promoted Y/N, I'm just back to my previous post.'

'Yay dad!! Fudge had to know someday- I'm so glad we were right.'

Dad smiled a little, looking at me bouncing around. 'Do you know how very happy you make me Y/N?'

'Now that you've said it, I'm going to make you even happier' I said, rushing over and planting a big kiss on his cheek.

'What about me?' Mum said, standing crossly at the doorway.

'You too!' I said, kissing her on the cheek. Mum grinned broadly and said 'I'm so glad to see you back baby. But first of all.' She suddenly looked serious. 'What is your patronus? Molly told me you all could make one?' I gave my wand a flourish and produced my dove patronus, at which dad clapped his hands. 'Marvelous! I really want to thank that Potter boy. He's such a splendid lad, I wish he'd have had us as family..'

'Hmm..' my mum nodded in agreement. I imagined for a crazy moment, Harry sitting next to me, talking about girly stuff like I and Hermione did. I giggled at the thought but instantly sobered up. 'Turns out Sirius Black wasn't the murderer after all..He was Harry's godfather too..' I said sadly, conjuring up Harry's broken face in my thoughts again. All three of us stayed silent for a few minutes, lost in our own thoughts. When we finally did talk, it was to discuss about the various measures the Ministry was taking against Voldemort. I went to sleep deeply disturbed, wishing that a particular someone's arms were around me, providing comfort.

The next few days were a blur. Dad revealed to me and mum that Kingsley Shacklebolt in the Ministry had recruited him to the Order of the Phoenix, a group formed by Dumbledore to fight against You-Know-who. Mum clapped a hand to her mouth and I noticed her other hand shook violently. I expected her to cry or dissuade him, but she looked at him, her face hardened. 'I'd like to join too. I can't keep talking and writing about magical creatures- I want to make a proper difference to the world. I want to fight him, I want to..I want..' her fists curled up and she looked properly terrifying. I had never seen this side of mum. Nor had dad, apparently. 'Honey? You really want to do this??'

She stared at him and then at me. 'I want to give my daughter a proper world to live in. I want to help. Being from Ravenclaw doesn't mean I can't fight.' She sounded like she meant it. I surprised them both by saying, 'I'm glad I have parents like you. I promise, when the time comes, I will be fighting next to you; I will not back down or cower.'

'That's the spirit!' Dad said proudly.

Dad also reckoned we should be setting up protective spells in our Muggle neighbours' homes, seeing that Muggles were the first target for You-know-who. So off we went, to the Morrisons. While I involved little Anne and Jamie in a game of ball, dad discreetly did the spellwork. 'It's still not enough' he said, as we walked back to home, 'but it should do for any minor attacks.'

That was one of the last days I spent time with Dad during the holidays. Otherwise he was either at work in the Ministry ('Right headache with Scrimgeour- putting everyone under scrutiny') or doing something for The Order ('It's top- secret, I really can't reveal it'). Mum said she would join forces later, when I was out of harm's way. I didn't know what to say about that- my mum was overly selfless at times.

I could only hope that they would be safe and sound, because I couldn't imagine losing anyone of them.