Chapter 14- Keep(er) Kiss

I looked at my watch.

Five o' clock. Keeper tryouts.

I inserted a bookmark into the book I had taken from the library for extra reading ('Transfiguration for your transformation') and skipped out of the Portrait Hole. Thankfully I didn't face any awkward questions from Ginny or Hermione. They knew Ron had gone, but they didn't know he had asked me to come. I might have told Hermione but last night's question still hung in the air, making me squeamish. Hermione had gone to see Flitwick and Ginny just seemed too engrossed in her homework. Thank heavens.

I half-walked, half-ran across the grounds, towards the Quidditch pitch. I could already see several people mounting their broomsticks as I settled into a favourable position in the stands.

I spotted Ron exactly when he saw me. I showed him a thumbs-up at which he grinned. And then I did something I never would have imagined myself doing. I blew him a kiss.

Ron smiled even wider and made a gesture as if he'd caught it in mid-air.

The boy behind him sniggered at which he flushed. 'Shit' I muttered under my breath. I didn't want him more nervous than he already was now.

After an hour of sitting there, I had to admit that his own brothers were being a little hostile towards Ron. How else could he have let 3 exceptionally easy saves? Nevertheless he got selected, at which I heaved a sigh of relief. None of the others were half as good as him, the best being 5 saves out of 10. All the team members walked off towards the dressing-room for a talk on tactics. I decided I'd wait for Ron and was idly tracing patterns on the dust on the seat next to mine, when I heard a cold laugh.

Malfoy. What was he doing here?

'Told your dad, eh Y/N? He's still a hard nut to crack, I'd say. Don't worry though, he'll soon be going back' he said cruelly. I decided to tackle him differently.

'What are you doing here anyway?'

'None of your business, friend-to-mudbloods-and-blood-traitors.'

I couldn't take it anymore. 'Don't you dare have a go at my dad or my friends, or I'll jinx you to oblivion.'

'Yeah? I'd like to see you try it.' He cracked his knuckles in an attempt to provoke me.

I plunged a hand into my robes and pulled out my wand, but suddenly my mum's words rang in my head. ''Promise me that you won't get provoked no matter what rumours you hear.'' Plus Malfoy was a Prefect. I didn't want Gryffindor's points docked because of me, in the first week.

And as much as I didn't want to, I abruptly slipped the wand back into my robes. I stared back at him defiantly. He chuckled annoyingly and put a finger under my chin, lifting my head a little higher.'You could have done so much better Y/N. With me. That son-of-a-bitch doesn't deserve you at all.'

My blood boiled and I stomped his foot hard, making him cry out in pain. 'You git! Get lost you idiot!! And if you dare insult him one more time, I swear-'

'Y/N??' I heard Ron's voice behind me, a tinge of anger diffused in it.

He took one good look at Malfoy, and pulled out his wand.

'Hey Weasel, tell your dad to not go about doing things he's just not capable of. You don't want him losing his job, do you? I expect you'll then have to sell that dump of yours you call a home, to raise money.'

Ron lunged at him, but I curled my fingers around his arm, holding him back.

Malfoy laughed mockingly and walked off.

'Let me just-'

'No, Ron..the hell we get provoked by a loser like him. Let it go.'

He looked longingly at the black receding speck that was Malfoy, his fingers still curled around his wand.

'I guess. You're right' he said, stowing his wand away, putting unnecessary emphasis on each word.

'So..I'm so glad you got in' I said, trying to lighten the mood.

He looked a little confused but caught on, grinning broadly. 'Yeah, I mean..Yeah, I suppose I did..' Always so modest. I smiled. 'You certainly deserve something Ron.'

'Huh? Like what?' Always so innocent.

'Like this.'

I stood on tiptoe, pressing my lips to his, and in that moment we were lost. His hands on my waist, mine around his neck; our bodies so close that they could have been one. I'd never felt this way before. I felt wanted, I felt like the whole of my life had been building up to this point. This kiss with Ron.

His hugs were sweeter but this kiss was passionate, full of intense longing. I knew the moment we let go, when I looked into those blue eyes, that Ron loved me more than he could ever say. I wanted nothing more than to be a part of his life forever and always.

We walked back to the castle, hand in hand, discussing the various tactics that Angelina had told the team. Everytime I looked at him, my face lit up- I knew I could never hide my emotions when I'd been so touched. Not even Malfoy could make me feel bad now. I'd have another day to ponder about what he meant, but for now, Ron was all I could think about. My first kiss was undeniably sweet.