Nothing...

"And I need you to know that. I need to tell you that and hear it back. You mean everything to me Faith. So please, wake up."

The woman I love keeps sleeping in her hospital bed.

"Please baby..."

I squeeze her hand gently again but it doesn't happen.

"I don't know if I can handle another week of sitting here watching you sleep like this. It's killing me Faith. But it doesn't have to. I can be okay and so can you. All you have to do is wake up for me."

There's a long drawn out silence as I watch my girlfriend's almost lifeless face, hoping to see some sign that she's waking up. But it never comes.

Why isn't the spell working? It should've worked. I did everything the spell told me to and it all worked like the spell said it should. So why isn't Faith waking up when I ask her to? Maybe the spell wasn't powerful enough. It was just a small little power of suggestion spell. I might need to use something bigger. But I didn't want to because something could go wrong. And sometimes people get hurt when a spell goes wrong. But what else can I do other than a more powerful spell?

Another squeeze of her hand does nothing.

"Faith..."

This spell obviously didn't work. There has to be one that will. But I didn't really think that this one wouldn't work, so I don't know what else to try. What do I do now?

Just then, there's a soft knock at the door and someone walks in.

Oh crap...

All I have time to do is put the book down on Faith's side table before standing up and turning to see Candy walking into the room. She smiles at me and I try and smile back as much as I can, both our smiles are half hearted though.

"Hey Dawn..."

"Hey Candy..."

"How's Faith?"

I bring my eyes back to Faith's sleeping form and sigh.

"She's fine... except for still being in a coma."

"Oh... I'm sorry."

Trying to make it seem like it's not a big deal, I shrug.

"It's all right. I was hoping she might come out of it today, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen."

Candy pulls up a chair and sits down.

"Why today?"

I really wish she hadn't asked me that. It makes me wish the spell had worked.

"Because... well... today is, kind of, our anniversary."

"Oh..."

"It was one year today that we had our first real date. We went to the movies and saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. But I couldn't tell you what the movie was really about, cause we spent most of it making out."

The room falls silent for a moment and I reach out to take Faith's hand in mine, holding it tightly when I feel like I almost wanna cry.

"One year ago today I had the greatest first date of my entire life, and I was really looking forward to celebrating it with her."

Another long moment of silence passes through the room.

"But I don't think that's gonna happen now."

Dropping my eyes down to the floor, I take a deep breath to try and hold back the tears that I feel stinging the corners of my eyes.

I wanted us to spend the whole day together, on a day long date. But I guess I don't get to have that. Instead all I'm gonna do is sit here and wish for her to wake up. The same thing I did yesterday, and the day before, and the day before and the day before for the last seven weeks.