Drew:

I take one last look at Harley where she is curled up on the inflatable mattress before I pull the door closed softly and head to where the car is parked a short distance away. For the last week we have been squatting in an old deserted hay barn that is located at the end of an old timber trail. The weather is cool but the barn is warm and the night is bright with a full moon as I start the car and head for the small town twenty kilometres away. Hank and Mutto are camped closer to town and I feel sure I will be able to find them in one of the pubs. With the crisp air and the brightness of the moon the night is calling out to me to go for a run and do some hunting.

There is little traffic as I enter the town and drive looking for a park near one of the pubs, I can’t see the Holden ute but I am not particularly worried as I pull into a park in front of a take-away café. I can hear the chatter and music from the pub as I walk along the sidewalk, the lights are on in the street making weird shadows on the shop fronts as I walk.

"Drew? Is that you?" A familiar voice yells and I glance towards the road as a Triton twin cab ute slows. "Hey Drew! Wait a minute!"

I stop and turn to face the road as the vehicle pauses to let the speaker out, I can’t help but smile as I see my brother Ken striding towards me. He has a wide grin on his face, he gives the driver a quick wave and I watch the vehicle drive away.

"It’s a pleasant surprise to see you on my travels," Ken says as he shakes my hand with gusto.

"I didn’t expect to see you here," I say, "you’re a bit out of your territory aren’t you."

"Work," Ken says with a shrug, " you know how it is. You living around these parts or just passing through?"

"Just passing," I tell him. "Not many folks want me around these days,"

"Thought you were just passing through." Ken says nodding soberly. "Jacob didn’t mention you moving in around here. Jacob’s in town tonight as well, why don’t one of us give him a call and we get together to have a few beers?"

"I’m meeting some friends," I shrug off his invitation.

"One of them wouldn’t be a certain woman Andy Willoughby saw you with in Inverell last week by any chance would it?" Ken asks and I look directly into his face quickly but he has a smile on his face and a teasing glint in his eyes. "I’m sure I don’t have to remind you to be careful if that’s where you’re getting your relief these days, with a human."

"Who I am, or who I am not with, has nothing to do with you!" I snap tightly. I see the hard light enter Ken’s eyes but he keeps the smile in place as he raises an eyebrow.

"Considering you didn’t have an easy time growing up with only one werecat gene, and even though you knew and understood you could become a cat at any given time, do not end up creating a little ‘problem’ the family will be forced to look after!" Ken says with a hard note entering his voice.

"Why don’t you just fuck off and mind your own business!" I snap turning away as I think of the kitt Harley is already carrying.

"Drew, calm down," Ken says grabbing hold of my upper arm and I turn to face him with a frown. "How about we drop the subject and go have a drink or two and catch up, I haven’t seen you for over a year."

I hesitate. I am torn between wanting to spend time with my brother and the worry he will bring up the subject of who I am with again.

"What was Willoughby doing in Inverell? That’s not in their territory," I say to try to change the subject.

"The entire Willoughby family were there celebrating Celeste’s birthday and engagement. How about I give Jacob a call? I know he’ll be glad to see you." Ken urges. "Maybe he can talk to Mal Inness about letting you settle into a place on the edge of their territory."