6. Welcome to the 20th Century baby!

"Man created God in his image: intolerant, sexist, homophobic and violent." - Marie

     Rather than just continue to lecture about how women are viewed by religious scripture, I thought it would be interesting to provide an example of the kind of woman hating I discussed in the previous chapter.

     What I'm about to show you are some quotes from an online blog that I used to occasionally read and rarely agree with. This person and I were complete opposites on many issues, especially with regards to religion and it's take on women's rights. This blogger was (and likely still is) a die hard cut taxes till it hurts and Ronald Regan is my hero kind of Republican. That sometimes meant reading his entries were a chore and sometimes enough to make me want to punch a wall. I could hardly believe that there were actually people out there who thought like this. This blogger who I had been reading on and off for a short while had posted a lot of entries that infuriated people who wrote on the same site as well, resulting in some very intense debates as insults and other forms of flames were being tossed around.

     This blogger (who I have very little respect for as a human being) became a father again one day for what I was under the impression for the second or third time. This blogger and his wife had a baby girl. During these times, one would usually want to extend their congratulations and express joy for the arrival of new life, even if you don't like the person. It can truly be one of the most incredible things you can ever experience in your lifetime. I wanted to put aside my ill will and do the same but for some reason I had a hard time mustering up the words needed to congratulate this person. I just couldn't do it.

     The reason was because this man and his wife had a daughter. I don't have anything against girls but I felt this way because the child was (and likely is) going to be raised in what I think will be a home environment that is extremely sexist and bigoted. I don't think this little girl is going to get a fair chance to spread her wings and do something with her life as opposed to if she was born with outdoor plumbing in this particular household. I know it's not a very nice thing to say, but I have evidence to back up my statements. Here are a few examples of the blatant sexism this poor girl will be brought up with:

Exhibit A:

When asked if he would support his daughter if she expressed a desire to be a mechanic, he wrote the following:

"Probably not. We're going to teach our daughters how to be housewives. Before they get married they're expected to go to college and they're expected to pursue a practical career that they can fall back on if their husband dies. But I will not encourage my daughters to become mechanics. No one wants a mechanic who wears a dress."

     Wow, how do you respond to something like that?

     All women should be housewives and should not be allowed to wear pants? Welcome back to the 1950's; where's Dad and the Beav?