Chapter 20: Confrontation

Start from the beginning

Instantly, everyone's expression changed. Sir Tristan eyed Selvina through disappointed eyes and shook his head of brown locks. Sir Galahad's eyes closed and he sighed deeply. Behind them, Sir Perceval and Sir Bors acted similarly. Sir Lamorak growled and glared at Selvina. Merlin's face was unreadable. Sir Kay looked angry, as usual. Glancing back, Selvina saw King Arthur, now dismounted, clench his jaw and shake his head slightly.

What had happened? What had she done? Why did it look as if she had betrayed them somehow? Impatient for answers, she snapped her gaze to Tinkerbelle, whose face was in her hands.

"What's wrong?!" she asked, her mind twisting and writhing in confusion.

"Stupid girl!" Sir Kay shouted, his face red with anger. "You've ruined everything!!" In a fit of rage, he slid off his horse, unsheathed his blade, and stomped over to the woman in black, who was wearing a most unusual smirk. "With me, knights! If we kill her now we can right this wrong and the war is over!"

"Dear brother, no!" cried out the king, his eyes wide and his face pale.

With a simple sweep of the woman's hand, Sir Kay went soaring through the air and crashing thunderously into a tree off the side of the road, his body broken. There, he lay still and never got up again.

Selvina's body froze in terror. In a blink of an eye, Sir Kay was dead. She had never liked him much but he didn't deserve death. Gazing at the woman through terrified eyes, Selvina began to back away. She had been wrong. She had been completely wrong. This woman was dangerous-incredibly so.

"Empress!" King Arthur called, struggling to keep a straight face. "Cease this! No more lives need be lost this day."

Of course she was Empress Rhiannon, Selvina thought, horrified. Why else would she show so much interest in her? And now, because of her blatant stupidity, the empress knew exactly who she was and there was no escaping it.

The woman turned around and eyed King Arthur, her face serene. "He advanced on me first, Arthur. I was simply defending myself."

"He was my brother, Rhiannon. You didn't need to kill him..."

"We are at war, you and I, Arthur. Such things happen."

King Arthur frowned. "Why have you come?"

"I came to speak with you. Seeing as you are here now, I supposed I shall take the moment to say that which I came to discuss."

Selvina was nearly back into the forest when her feet ignored her pleas to move. She struggled to keep backing away but try as she might, she was rooted to the spot. Glancing down, she noticed black vines rising out of the ground and wrapping around her ankles, pinning her in place. Her eyes went to the empress and she thought she saw her grin.

"Tink!" she whispered to the fairy who stood on her shoulder. "Help me out!"

The fairy buzzed down to her legs and began attacking the vines with her nail-forged sword, slowly cutting into them. It would take time to break through them all but if the empress's attention could remain on King Arthur, she might have a chance to escape in time. Around the dangerous woman, the knights were circling her, trapping her. Merlin walked over to stand by his king's side, his hands firmly gripping his staff, ready for anything.

"Nordara has fallen, Arthur," the empress was saying. "In mere weeks or days, the armies that conquered it will be coming here. These are Swordenish armies and they do not shy away from winter. I am certain you have a great force here, Arthur, but how long can it last against the unceasing raids and attacks brought upon by the Northmen? Your winter will not be a quiet one and come spring, once my legions advance upon you, defeat will be all but assured. You are out of allies, little king, and continuing this war will only lead to your defeat."